bored tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
it seems as if zula, my 2 year old leopard tortoise, is bored. i recently upgraded her enclosure to a 5x5 table and added a lot of things to her house, and yet, it seems all she does is sleep and eat.

today, i had to physically wake her up at noon because i had to feed her! then 15 minutes later, she's back in her hide ): she use to take naps elsewhere but now always there. i understand she's young and sleeps a lot, but she doesn't really bask or even do a quick walk through of her enclosure! there's a corner i have never seen her explore...

she doesn't bask often, a little before and after eating. i have plenty of hides, real and fake plants, rocks and different substrates to try to mimic the wild.

the ambient temp never drops below 72F inside the enclosure, should i raise it a bit? the hide she sleeps in is her humid hide, its always 87F with 75%+ humidity....maybe the cool side is too cool? the corner i never see her in is where it is 72F.and the humidity in the entire enclosure varies but just the room her table is in never has humidity lower than 60%, so hers is always that if not higher, with the guaranteed 75%+ in her hide at all times.

any suggestions? i don't currently have grass growing in there, but i normally do. i know there aren't things that tortoises can "do" all day, but I'm just grasping at straws here, lol. i have snow on the ground or i would definitely have her butt outside /:

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
JoesMum said:
And double check what temperature you have under the basking lamp

basking temp is 110F.

papayapa said:
Try raising the overall temps to a constant 80F 24 hours a day through out the whole enclosure.

okay. i figured this would be possible solution and its in the works now, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.