Humidity and temperature question

Ninja's mom

So I posted a few days ago and it was recommended that the heating/uvb lamp isn't getting close enough to my baby russian tortoise so I ordered a stand so I can get the lamp closer to him. I am wondering if there is a certain distance it should be, or just far enough away he wont' get burned but close enough to keep the temperature really warm?

Also, what should the humidity be? The petstore convinced me that I didn't need to buy something to keep track of humidity and russians are fine.But from what i've read here I should be watching that? So far i've sprayed the tank lightly every few days, but the substrate does seem pretty dry most of the time. I will buy something to monitor that as well. Thank you so much, I felt like I did a ton of research before getting this guy, we waited a year! However the info online is so conflicting and the many petstores we visited haven't given us the best info. Our little guy is very lethargic :( Hoping he will perk up with the new heat lamp set up tomorrow!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
What are you using for substrate? Coconut coir works well and holds more stir well. If you are already using that then pour water in and stir it around with your hands, Misting will not be enough. I'll have to go back and look at your other post maybe but how old is your tortoise? If you're getting a mercury vapor bulb that is 100 W it should be 12 inches above your tortoises shelf. But you also need to know the temperature, 100° is good for directly under the bulb.
Do you soak your tortoise? If it is a baby you should soak him daily and Luke warm water right up to the part where the top shell and bottom shall meet. Check out the top of the Russian tortoise section, Yvonne made a thread about setting up a habitat for a hatchling. I know there is a lot of conflicting information out there and it can get very confusing very quickly. But this forum has the best and most up-to-date information so stay right here, keep reading, and keep asking questions.
I would soak your tortoise tonight. You don't want them to get so dehydrated that they can't recover.

Ninja's mom

I am using Eco Earth Coconut something or other for substrate :) I had no idea I was supposed to add so much water to the substrate! No wonder it seems so dry! The petstore told me I didn't need to do anything to the substrate, i'm glad i've been at least misting it despite what they told me! I will add more water tomorrow, I don't want to do it tonight since his light is already off. He/She is about 4 months. I have two mercury Vapor bulbs, 100 watt and 165 watt. I had bought the 100 but the temperature wasn't getting warm enough so the vet told me to get the 165 watt to use instead. Its still not getting warm enough in there, except on warm days (of which we likely won't have any more of those until June!). I think the 100 watt will be fine once I get it closer to him. I do soak him daily and he drinks and deficates almost every soak. I always put him right by his food after soaking and he eats. Thanks for the information, I wish I had found this forum before I got everything set up and got him! Hoping that the added humidity and heat will perk him up...I keep telling him in 24 hours he'll be toasty warm!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Pet stores usually don't have a clue. Mine didn't either. Vets often don't either. 160 W seems really big. It would have to be about 18 inches above your tortoise and it would heat and aquarium up way too much.
If you make the substrate at least 4 or even 6 inches deep it helps keep the humidity in. And tortoises like to bury themselves, especially Russians. More than once I sworn mine had escaped until I finally dug around and found her.