Humidifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello, I just got a new humidifier for my sulcata hatchlings enclosure. I was having problems getting humidity where I wanted it. So, I got a Vicks warm mist humidifier. What can i do to properly get the humidity in the tank? Ive seen other put pvc pipe that connects to the tank. I looked up ideas but didnt find anything other than that. Let me know if it is the appropriate one as well. Thanks.

89DDEE7A-20CC-4A61-9BC7-B7ED1E9EA033-14862-00000BCC3E1ED737.jpg

14EB21A3-D502-4C67-A545-11199B54E3B7-14862-00000BCC37E9B8D0.jpg

F80398A6-EAF6-45D5-AA3E-56C4A0D9EF3D-14862-00000BCC3156636E.jpg

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
I went to Target, Walmart and Walgreens and opened every single box, even purchased one from Walgreens only to come to the conclusion that the warm mist ones get too hot for me to feel comfy with mine standing in the mist and also noticed that I couldn't find one that would accept any sort of tubing. Then I got a cool mist from Target (an elephant one I've seen another member use) bought a washing machine tube (I can get a picture if you need) from Home Depot that already came with a rubber end that slipped over and gripped the humidifier's elephant trunk and there ya go, I pipe it right into her enclosure under or near her heat lamp and it stays warm enough. I then turn it on and run it while she's outside with the lights off to bring up the humidity, turning the heat light on moments before bringing her back in.
Hope this helps! I'm sure some folks use the warm ones, it's what I thought for sure to use, but I can't seem to find one that doesn't burn me and that lets me install tubing easily.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Picture please! I have never heard a humidifier referred to as "elephant". I did do a trial run on it an it was pretty warm putting my face over it. I could definitely not put that directly into the enclosure. But, if I can find something appropriate to get to the enclosure then I will do that.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
image-2883959548.png

There you are! It's by Crane, never heard of that brand before, they make other animal ones but the elephant trunk is perfect for a hose. I also asked about warm versus cold humidity but never got an answer, after burning my hand on the warm and seeing someone else with this one I went and got it. I still have the warm one (mine is a Walgreens brand) that I hope to use one day if I can figure out how you rig em and keep em from burning your tort etc.
Hope this picture works, I went and grabbed it real quick, lemme know!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Masin said:
View attachment 27531

There you are! It's by Crane, never heard of that brand before, they make other animal ones but the elephant trunk is perfect for a hose. I also asked about warm versus cold humidity but never got an answer, after burning my hand on the warm and seeing someone else with this one I went and got it. I still have the warm one (mine is a Walgreens brand) that I hope to use one day if I can figure out how you rig em and keep em from burning your tort etc.
Hope this picture works, I went and grabbed it real quick, lemme know!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Humidifiers’-What-Are-They-And-How-They-Work#axzz23Ua2oSJs

Blake if you can't funnel in the moist warm air into the enclosure , then try building ( or purchasing) a mini green house and keep the enclosure in that with the humidifier....

JD~:)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I did find that post. I was thinking of cutting out the middle part and shoving a pipe in there that can endure the heat of the humidifier.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Blake m said:
I did find that post. I was thinking of cutting out the middle part and shoving a pipe in there that can endure the heat of the humidifier.

Hey there! So sorry about the darn picture not posting and it taking 100 years for me to notice! Ugh!!
Trying again for you!

image-3867094730.png

View attachment 28283

image-2996449033.png

Status
Not open for further replies.