Humidity getting to low(in Florida, what?!)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Ok, so i haven't had to really worry about humidity(being in florida). But the weather has just dropped and the humidity is gone(great for hair, lol)! Im trying to figure out a budget friendly way to build the humidity back up. Maybe a cheap small humidifier i can put in or near her tank? She is in 100Gal Aquarium. And what can i cover it with so that she still gets enough air? I have a light blanket over 1/2 of it right not to help hold in heat and humidity. But i need to do more! I have been soaking her 30 mins a day to help out as well. I also mist the tank several times a day. She is about 5 months old i think. She is 2 1/2" on the bottom. Thanks!

Humidifier? I need cheap, but not cheaply made. I know you get what you pay for...but money is tight at the moment.
Tank cover?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Blanket won't help with humidity. Cover with a piece of wood or even tin foil. Dampen substrate first then cover about 3/4 of it.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Ok, thanks. And go figure i am out of Aluminum foil! Does the wood need to have any holes in it? Or is the 1/4 of the tank that will be open enough air? I will get some wood tomorrow...

wellington said:
Blanket won't help with humidity. Cover with a piece of wood or even tin foil. Dampen substrate first then cover about 3/4 of it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
1/4 tank left open is enough. You could also cover all of it and then put a couple holes. BTW, always out of tin foil when you need it. How does that happen anyway:D

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I know, right! I will pick some up tomorrow. I just pour almost a gallon of warm water into the substrate. I will see where that brings it to and add more as needed. Thanks!

wellington said:
1/4 tank left open is enough. You could also cover all of it and then put a couple holes. BTW, always out of tin foil when you need it. How does that happen anyway:D

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Can always saran wrap the 3/4 that you want to cover if you have that.. Or wax paper taped over it. Basically anything that's not going to let water evaporate through it (like a towel or blanket does). Could even do a trash bag in a pinch for a ghetto fix, lol. Just make sure nothing plastic contacts or is too close to the heat lamp for melting/fire risk.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
I really like Crane humidifiers, they are about $35, but you don't have to worry about the fan burning out on this brand.

Also, adding plants, moss, leaves and multiple hides will help tremendously as long as the temp stays up

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
RosieRedfoot said:
Can always saran wrap the 3/4 that you want to cover if you have that.. Or wax paper taped over it. Basically anything that's not going to let water evaporate through it (like a towel or blanket does). Could even do a trash bag in a pinch for a ghetto fix, lol. Just make sure nothing plastic contacts or is too close to the heat lamp for melting/fire risk.
Hmmm, i can try the saran wrap. I have that! I will give it a try. Thanks!

safari_lass1 said:
I really like Crane humidifiers, they are about $35, but you don't have to worry about the fan burning out on this brand.

Also, adding plants, moss, leaves and multiple hides will help tremendously as long as the temp stays up

I will look into them... Thanks. I have 4 live plants in there. A hide and a piece of driftwood that also makes as a hide...a plant drapes over it. She likes to hide in there. I thought she was lost one day! LOL

Just added some saran wrap to 3/4 of the tank. Hopefully is helps. Humidity is only at 66%. I added another 1/2 gallon of warm water to the substrate too.
2012-10-30 20.24.51.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.