Humidfier angst

pawsplus

Location (City and/or State)
Nashville, TN
I am not a believer in the closed enclosure thing. The Tortoise Trust does not recommend them due to the dangers of fungus growth. I will stick with what I am doing. I have ordered another reptile humidifier and see if it leaks. It's so easy to return to Amazon, there's really no downside to giving it a try.

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
I am not a believer in the closed enclosure thing. The Tortoise Trust does not recommend them due to the dangers of fungus growth. I will stick with what I am doing. I have ordered another reptile humidifier and see if it leaks. It's so easy to return to Amazon, there's really no downside to giving it a try.
it'll only promote fungus growth if the humidity is too high or if the substrate is too wet. you can keep doing what youre doing if you'd like, just know that a closed enclosure is the best option if used correctly. you should also get a digital hygrometer if you dont have one.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

You're behind the times friend, just like Tortoise Trust.

There are cheap and expensive options that can solve molding as well as waterproofing in closed chamber enclosures. Some can be used for your open tortoise table as well.

In no particular order:
1. Animal Plastics or @Markw84 makes high-end PVC enclosures, enclosures that will last damn-near forever and can take as much abuse as any tortoise can give out.
2. Lining the interior of a closed chamber enclosure with a water proof tarp.
3. Rustoleum countertop paint. @Markw84 has mentioned how well the product held up even after several years of use.
4. Flex seal or pond shield. A couple of members have had success using this product in their enclosures. The more coats the better.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
That's laughable. The Tortoise Trust is most certainly not "behind the times!" It bases its information on fact and science, not on the latest internet fad. I will stick with their recommendations! And yes, of course I have a digital hygrometer.

As I have repeatedly said, my enclosure maintains 70-90% humidity. It isn't lined with plastic--it is built around large concrete mixing tubs which are impervious to moisture, so the cypress mulch is kept wet at the bottom all the time and the surface stays relatively dry.My concern about fungal growth was not about protecting the enclosure, but protecting the tortoise!

At any rate, I'm not sure why you think I still "need" a closed chamber for a large adult redfoot when I already have tropical humidity. It is obviously possible to maintain an appropriate environment while still allowing for good ventilation.

I will give another fogger a try because I like the idea of a little less work on my part, particularly if I have to go out of town and rely on pet sitters, but I am not going to change my enclosure.

Attachments

• pen-curtain.jpg
    pen-curtain.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 15
  • pen-palm.jpg
    pen-palm.jpg
    958.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You don't need a closed chamber for an adult Redfoot in my opinion. It's not really practical either. Closed chamber is definitely the way to go for Hatchlings, it's certainly not an internet fad. In my experience though once they're growing smooth at about 2 years they do fine in an open table. One thing that has helped boost humidity in the room I keep one of my torts is an open top fish tank. Maybe you could get one and put it in the same room as your torts enclosure. Just rig a light above it and don't put a top on it.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
You don't need a closed chamber for an adult Redfoot in my opinion. It's not really practical either. Closed chamber is definitely the way to go for Hatchlings, it's certainly not an internet fad. In my experience though once they're growing smooth at about 2 years they do fine in an open table. One thing that has helped boost humidity in the room I keep one of my torts is an open top fish tank. Maybe you could get one and put it in the same room as your torts enclosure. Just rig a light above it and don't put a top on it.
Yes. Beasley was in a mostly closed chamber until she was 4-5 years old--a large tub with the top partially closed, and then a 4x4 enclosure with, again, the top partially closed. Water was added to the substrate, and a humidifier was in the room. Humidity at 80-90%. Then she moved to the tortoise table. :) I used to have fish in that room actually -- did not notice that the humidity was up, but then there was a top on it of course, with the fish. I don't really want to get back into fish -- I am on a spring and the water quality was so up and down that at one point I was having to purchase 50 gal of water a week! And not going to deal with filters and all without fish. I do feel that my humidity, at 70-90%, is excellent, and while it will be nice if I can make this new humidifier work, I don't feel that if I do not, I will need to do anything additional. :)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I would highly suggest you change out the clip light asap and use a method like you do for your other light. I personally had a light fall in an enclosure I was building and luckily it only charred the wood and did not ignite-had to replace a 1'x1' square. Also we have numerous threads where the ligt has fallen and started fires or even fell on the tortoise. I would also conside a lip around the top to limit climbing as the tub lip would offer a means to climb up to the outer wall. Good luck

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
She doesn't climb. If she started to I would change it, but she never even tries! Zero interest.

I could put something on the window frame to hold the other light. Will see if that will work. I know of the risk of clamp lights but given where the enclosure sits, there isn't any place over there for it. But a bracket on the window frame might work.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
She doesn't climb. If she started to I would change it, but she never even tries! Zero interest.

I could put something on the window frame to hold the other light. Will see if that will work. I know of the risk of clamp lights but given where the enclosure sits, there isn't any place over there for it. But a bracket on the window frame might work.
I would just get some flat metal stock and bend an L shape and paint it white. Drill a couple of holes and attach to the outside of the enclosure. Would look better than doing it with PVC.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
I just emptied all the tubs, hauled the stuff out, hired a guy to help me move the enclosure to the carport, re-stained and re-poly'd, replaced the plastic sides, and reversed the whole process. I cannot move the enclosure to attach anything to the side without a ton more work. Easier to attach to the window frame! I can just patch and paint when I sell. :)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I just emptied all the tubs, hauled the stuff out, hired a guy to help me move the enclosure to the carport, re-stained and re-poly'd, replaced the plastic sides, and reversed the whole process. I cannot move the enclosure to attach anything to the side without a ton more work. Easier to attach to the window frame! I can just patch and paint when I sell. :)
Aaah! You didn't mention this was furniture! ?