Humid hide

Nrc470

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
What is the best humid hide? What does everyone use right now I use a Rubbermaid shoe box with orchid moss inside that I spray everyday. I also used a dremel tool to cut a hole

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use black dishwashing tubs from Walmart. $1.82.

I can't use moss. I've tried several times in the past but every tortoise of every species tries to eat it, so I always have to remove it. I don't recommend it. If they eat it, it can cause an impaction.

I dremmeled the doors for my first few humid hides, but then I discovered that scissors work just as well on the Walmart tubs.

IMG_4822.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I use a cheap plastic tub like Tom uses except I had coco coir substrate and I covered the tub with the substrate.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California

I can't use moss. I've tried several times in the past but every tortoise of every species tries to eat it, so I always have to remove it. I don't recommend it. If they eat it, it can cause an impaction.

I dremmeled the doors for my first few humid hides, but then I discovered that scissors work just as well on the Walmart tubs.

View attachment 238428

I’m going to save this picture for an example on my Instagram page. I don’t have one from when Dexter was a little lad.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
View attachment 239146 View attachment 239148

I currently use this clay pot/saucer diy humid hide. I fill up the saucer on top with water and the clay hide stays humid until all the water is evaporated

This is my favourite humid hide. I’m still trying to convince my neighbour to cut the pot for me but he’s not convinced it won’t break. I love the idea of the water soaking into the pot-great idea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is my favourite humid hide. I’m still trying to convince my neighbour to cut the pot for me but he’s not convinced it won’t break. I love the idea of the water soaking into the pot-great idea.
I loved this idea too, but wondered how to cut a nice door without breaking the pot.

Salspi

Chicago
It’s easy guys. Just go for it. It can definitely crack on you. But, with a dremel tool I did it on my first try. You could probably even pull it off with just a hacksaw. Go slowly and take your time. I tested the humidity holding capacity. If I remember correctly, In a room that was like 42% RH, the humidity level in the hide was 73%.... In the enclosed viv, it works great.

Yes, I used the emery disk bit that came with my dremel tool to cut the door..... To cut the pot in half, I drew a line and made a shallow partial cut line using the emery bit. Once it was scored, I used a hack saw and lightly sawed thru the remaining clay. It Took about 30 min. Then I just siliconed the saucer to the top.

One tip that I think helped guard against cracking was that the hack saw blade was very thin. If you want you can also tape up the pot along the cut line before cutting. This will help avoid cracking a little bit.

After your done, Don’t forget to sand the edges of the cuts.... they can be sharp!

Last edited:

Salspi

Chicago

View attachment 238428

Tom, every time I see pics of your enclosure i want to call AP and buy one!

macky2002

Cyclone Pa
It’s easy guys. Just go for it. It can definitely crack on you. But, with a dremel tool I did it on my first try. You could probably even pull it off with just a hacksaw. Go slowly and take your time. I tested the humidity holding capacity. If I remember correctly, In a room that was like 42% RH, the humidity level in the hide was 73%.... In the enclosed viv, it works great.

Yes, I used the emery disk bit that came with my dremel tool to cut the door..... To cut the pot in half, I drew a line and made a shallow partial cut line using the emery bit. Once it was scored, I used a hack saw and lightly sawed thru the remaining clay. It Took about 30 min. Then I just siliconed the saucer to the top.

One tip that I think helped guard against cracking was that the hack saw blade was very thin. If you want you can also tape up the pot along the cut line before cutting. This will help avoid cracking a little bit.

After your done, Don’t forget to sand the edges of the cuts.... they can be sharp!
Just wet the part your cutting while your cutting it because it cracks when it gets hot I cut a lot of glass

Salspi

Chicago
Macky

It was about 40 degrees outside when I cut up the pot that was in the garage overnight. I cut it outside and the pot was cold. Maybe that was the trick. I’ll def use water on the next one. Thanks!

Salspi

Chicago
If you’re having issues cutting a clay flower pot, you could try using a different kind of pot that’s easy to cut.