Humid hide?!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi Plexiglass is often recommended but you will have to cut holes for the lamps to hang through so that he will get the benefit of his uvb and heat etc.
Some people use plastic mini or portable green houses similar to these on top and hang the lamps inside.
upload_2015-12-28_23-29-27.png upload_2015-12-28_23-31-36.png
I am very jealous I can't get the second pic of a Lifetime raised garden kit in the UK!!
Some add posts to the corners of their tables and add supports between them then just cover with plastic.
Have a look at the enclosures thread for more great ideas.

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi pearly,
Thank you so much for your response. It's so nice to hear. I'm learning more and more and I'm looking to learn new things all the time. This forum is brilliant and had helped me so much. Talking to people like yourself is reassuring that what I'm doing is ok and if I do make mistakes I'm quickly learning to amend them. I think when jack needs his substrate changing I'm going to go for all bark. He seems to like the bark much more then the soil and the soil has been worrying me since I've now found out it's not really ideal. It does get so frustrating at times as I'll do something thinking it's a good thing to then read it's not! But I am enjoying being a tortoise mummy and I love to learn new things especially diet as I do try really hard to provide a good varied well balanced diet. Jack now has a humid hide, and I'm pleased as he's using it. I want to get some plexiglass sheets I can lay across the top of the book case as soon as I can. Would that work well?

What sort of tort have you got?

Kirsty :)
Hey there Kristy! My daughter has Redfoot and cherryhead both babies. They are her first pets so naturally I'm the one doing most of the research as to give her the best coaching. She's only 11 yrs old, but a mature one. Still, I feel responsible both for her learning curve and the tort babies' wellbeing. I started with the bark substrate but felt the babies' tiny feet needed something ... softer, so added coco coir, the soil came to support the roots of the plants and create good bioactive environment. Then, the mosses came to keep things clean.... and because I liked the looks. You'll figure out what works best for you and your pet. Try not to stress too much about things, stick around here, there's wealth of knowledge around the forum members, also watch Jack closely. Our pets are best at letting us know what works and what doesn't.

Mislilly

Hi pearly,sorry for the late reply we have been away for Christmas. Thanks for your encouragement, it's really nice to hear. Jack hardly ever goes on the soil and stays on the bark most of the time. I like the look of the coco coir so think I'll try him on that. He's been using his humid hide every night so really happy about that, just need to get the plexiglass and I'll be happy. He seems happy and healthy and is very active so that makes me happy. He seems to love him daily soaks too.

Kirsty