Human skin condition from handl'g tortoise?

JHoward

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Has anyone ever heard of people developing skin conditions/ rashes from handling tortoises. I have developed thickened crusty patches of skin on my hands - mostly on my knuckles and fingers. The skin splits open. A dermatologist said it's contact dermatitis. She said it's probably not the tortoise, but it just makes me curious as it started right after I got him.

Cutva

5 Year Member
Skin conditions

I got one once form peat moss. I think it was just a bad batch but I didn't put it in my enclosure. It never happened again though.

Never from a tortoise though. :)

JHoward

5 Year Member
Virginia
Re: Skin conditions

Lol. OK. I didn't think so but was just trying to coverall the bases.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: Skin conditions

My mom had a similar condition once, but from using cleaning products like Windex without gloves.

HJ1983

New York City
I have that. It's actually from excessive hand washing. I work with children and wash my hands often. I can only assume that with the tortoise you're washing your hands often. Unfortunately once it starts it's probably never going away, or more accurately will continue to come back. What you have to do is apply lots of moisturizer and sleep with gloves after slathering Vaseline all over. Theres a product called O'keeffe's working hands that helps. Stop using anything that contains antibacterial and do not use Purell. Find an alcohol free hand sanitizer if you absolutely need it. Do you also have clear pustules on palms and fingers? If so it's not contact dermatitis it's actually pompholyx. I've had it for years and was told I had contact dermatitis until I went to a dermatologist and it was finally properly diagnosed. If you have that you need a topical ointment and I'd suggest scheduling a derm appointment.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
OREGONO OIL.
Its amazing!! Buy it on Amazon. Rub it on daily and it'll be gone within a month. My mom did it. Worked like a charm.

HJ1983

New York City
I'm looking it up now. Like I said I work with children... And they're a bit "germy" so I was hands ALOT.

JHoward it's worth a try.