Help! (Tortoise in bad shape)

Eggs 'n Banana

I just rescued a red foot tortoise from a classmate, and he's in BAD condition, here are some pictures...ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499137756.905974.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499137775.166436.jpg
As you can see there are a lot of problems.. one that you can't see is his beak, it has a crack in it. He is 11 inches, so what can I do to help him, mostly his pyramiding, and dry skin and beak! Please put what I could do, and if I could ever reverse the damage in his shell, considering he is 11 inches.

Eggs 'n Banana

I also forgot to mention he has a whistle sound when he breaths, and makes a surprised sound or a releasing sound sometimes when eating, and today his head was completely on the floor like he was dead... I'm really scared and I want him to be okay!!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Pyramiding and overgrown beak seem to be the least of this poor little tort's problems. His shell collapsed towards his back side is likely indicative of metabolic bone disease, which unfortunately many pet tortoises end up getting due to poor husbandry practices of their owners. He needs good UVB and calcium rich diet starting... yesterday.... but seriously MBD is a bad thing, turns their bones into a mush, it also ruins their internal organs and causing those poor animals to suffer severe pain. Can he move his limbs? Is he eating? If yes to both, then with some work and dedication on your part you can successfully rehab this poor baby and have a greateful shelled friend for whatever his time is meant to be. Just keep him warm and humid, NOT HOT! They can die from overheating, just WARM at 80-85F throughout the enclosure, soak him daily, and FEED, FEED, FEED good nutritious diet, give him daily outdoors time for sunbathing (important for his VIT D synthesis, which you have to have for that calcium rich diet to even do anything) Again, be careful with the sun exposure, don't leave him in full sun where he can't escape the heat. I see at times little outdoor enclosures that are like keeping those poor animals on frying pans. Just think of all the "what ifs" before leaving this little thing in any situation created by you. Remember, he can't escape unless you provide for that, and even then, it maybe hard for him bcs he's already in a very compromised state. Please post pictures of how you will house him so we can help you tweak things if you would like that. I am so glad you have found us here! And even more so that your kind heart dictated you to take on this rescue challenge. Thank you. Please ask any questions you may have for us. I keep RFs and there are many others, way more experienced than myself. We are all here to help you and your new rescue tort. Very warm welcome from Texas to you both:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I just rescued a red foot tortoise from a classmate, and he's in BAD condition, here are some pictures...View attachment 211750View attachment 211751
As you can see there are a lot of problems.. one that you can't see is his beak, it has a crack in it. He is 11 inches, so what can I do to help him, mostly his pyramiding, and dry skin and beak! Please put what I could do, and if I could ever reverse the damage in his shell, considering he is 11 inches.
Guess I didn't address your questions, pyramiding is not reversible, but any growth from now on maybe nice and smooth if given right conditions. Again with right diet, UVB and daily exercise, daily soaking, his shell will hopefully harden and bones become stronger, but I suspect he will always look a little different, which is ok. Really! Some of our members have rehabbed some torts with bad MBD and severely deformed shells, they are still cute as can be and I think most of them have very special personalities. I'm wishing that for you:)

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
The beak can be repaired with epoxy. Just keep out of mouth, etc. NOT superglue. Too liquid. Unless foundation bone is damaged beak should regrow just like our fingernails if not continually stressed on hard foods.

Eggs 'n Banana

Pyramiding and overgrown beak seem to be the least of this poor little tort's problems. His shell collapsed towards his back side is likely indicative of metabolic bone disease, which unfortunately many pet tortoises end up getting due to poor husbandry practices of their owners. He needs good UVB and calcium rich diet starting... yesterday.... but seriously MBD is a bad thing, turns their bones into a mush, it also ruins their internal organs and causing those poor animals to suffer severe pain. Can he move his limbs? Is he eating? If yes to both, then with some work and dedication on your part you can successfully rehab this poor baby and have a greateful shelled friend for whatever his time is meant to be. Just keep him warm and humid, NOT HOT! They can die from overheating, just WARM at 80-85F throughout the enclosure, soak him daily, and FEED, FEED, FEED good nutritious diet, give him daily outdoors time for sunbathing (important for his VIT D synthesis, which you have to have for that calcium rich diet to even do anything) Again, be careful with the sun exposure, don't leave him in full sun where he can't escape the heat. I see at times little outdoor enclosures that are like keeping those poor animals on frying pans. Just think of all the "what ifs" before leaving this little thing in any situation created by you. Remember, he can't escape unless you provide for that, and even then, it maybe hard for him bcs he's already in a very compromised state. Please post pictures of how you will house him so we can help you tweak things if you would like that. I am so glad you have found us here! And even more so that your kind heart dictated you to take on this rescue challenge. Thank you. Please ask any questions you may have for us. I keep RFs and there are many others, way more experienced than myself. We are all here to help you and your new rescue tort. Very warm welcome from Texas to you both:)
Thank you so much!, he has been eating and he's been moving and active when I let him outside for the day, I'll do my best to turn this little guys life around, and thank you so much for all the help! I can't thank you enough!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks for rescuing him and good luck!

Eggs 'n Banana

Thanks for all the help, but I now have a new problem... he won't eat

Today I gave him half a banana and dandelions and other greens, he ate the banana, but didn't even touch anything else.... what should I do?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks for all the help, but I now have a new problem... he won't eat

Today I gave him half a banana and dandelions and other greens, he ate the banana, but didn't even touch anything else.... what should I do?
Mix up the banana (just a little of it) with the greens so he has to eat the other stuff too like it or not. Half a banana is a full meal and he would not want anything else after that, so he gets none of the nutrition from the other food.

Eggs 'n Banana

More problems, like I said I gave him a banana and he didn't have anything else, but today(one day after the banana and no eating) HE THREW UP! I'm really concerned, I had him soak for 30 min, but he still won't eat! I'm really concerned. I can't take him to a vet because I'm only 14 and I can't drive... please please please help!!

AmberD

Ontario
Could be possible he threw up due to eating half a banana.. They are really sugary and if he wasn't eating properly to begin with, could have upset his stomach. Maybe try smaller amounts mixed in/on other foods as suggested to get him to eat some other stuff too.
Pets may always need unexpected costs - maybe try to work something out with your parents doing chored etc maybe they will help with a vet bill?
Thank you for trying to help this guy, good luck!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
He might be full of parasites, the whistling may be indicative of a respiratory infection. I would recommend a vet visit first, the vet may be able to ground down the beak and epoxy the crack so it doesn't get any worse. Glad you are stepping up. They take a long time to get better, but most are happy fighters by nature. Keep us posted.

Eggs 'n Banana

Thank you for all the suggestions and help! It's a day later and he's acting normal and eating! I've watched almost all f Camp Kenans videos, and everything is as good as it can be right now! I'll keep you guys posted and do things about the beak as soon as possible!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Thank you for all the suggestions and help! It's a day later and he's acting normal and eating! I've watched almost all f Camp Kenans videos, and everything is as good as it can be right now! I'll keep you guys posted and do things about the beak as soon as possible!
Where you located man?
I'm sorry to tell you I have zero experience with keeping redfoot tortoises or any Central to South American tortoises. @Yvonne G is a long time moderator here on the TortoiseForum and not only is she seriously knowledgeable about most tortoises/turtles, she also keeps most and can provide clear, firsthand knowledge. I'll be sending you a pm eggs and BACON oops banana (what the…????)?!