Box turtle eggs denting in on day 54, help!!

xChadN

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Congrats on hatching the babies!

I have to admit that I am a bit confused by your wondering if these babies are intergrades or not. If you produced these babies, don't you know if they are intergrades or not?

What are the possible parent species or subspecies of which the babies could be intergrades? Knowing that might make it possible to answer your question with more accuracy.

Do you keep two different Box Turtle species or subspecies together? If so, why not separate them so as not to produce intergrades?
Sorry, should've explained myself! Thank you for the congratulations!

I'm not too sure if they're intergrades or not, i doubt that they are, they just look a little different from the three-toed box turtle babies i've seen but perhaps they're just more colorful then the typical three-toed baby. This is my first time producing them so i don't really know what to expect when it comes to "normal" coloration 😁 i'll be sure to include more pictures once they fully absorb their yolk sac to see what ya' think!

The parents are both 100% three-toed box turtles. They aren't kept together, and were only paired once.

The mother was purchased a little under a year ago as a proven breeder. I'm not too sure what the previous owners paired her with, or if she was exposed to any other subspecies. If these are indeed intergrades could it be possible she retained sperm from a different pairing before she got to me? Not sure.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I think 3 toed box turtles have more colors when younger, then turn more brown with age. Mine did that.

xChadN

Oklahoma
I think 3 toed box turtles have more colors when younger, then turn more brown with age. Mine did that.
That would explain it then! I'm used to seeing an all brown patternless turtle i guess 🤔

Reactions: Ink

zovick

10 Year Member!
Sorry, should've explained myself! Thank you for the congratulations!

I'm not too sure if they're intergrades or not, i doubt that they are, they just look a little different from the three-toed box turtle babies i've seen but perhaps they're just more colorful then the typical three-toed baby. This is my first time producing them so i don't really know what to expect when it comes to "normal" coloration 😁 i'll be sure to include more pictures once they fully absorb their yolk sac to see what ya' think!

The parents are both 100% three-toed box turtles. They aren't kept together, and were only paired once.

The mother was purchased a little under a year ago as a proven breeder. I'm not too sure what the previous owners paired her with, or if she was exposed to any other subspecies. If these are indeed intergrades could it be possible she retained sperm from a different pairing before she got to me? Not sure.
OK, now it is much easier to understand why you aren't sure of the lineage. My first step would be to ask the person from whom you obtained the female if the turtle had ever been paired with any other Box Turtle species/subspecies while in his/her possession. Female Box Turtles are said to be able to store sperm for long periods of time, but I have no idea how long that might be.

If the previous owner doesn't recall or doesn't answer you, then you will most likely have to grow the babies up and see what transpires as they mature. Or you could try getting a DNA test done if you can find a vet who will do it. The Omaha Zoo Genetics Department has a large database of chelonian DNA. You could check with them and see if they would have any interest in running such a test for you or could possibly refer you to someone who would do it.

Good luck.

xChadN

Oklahoma
OK, now it is much easier to understand why you aren't sure of the lineage. My first step would be to ask the person from whom you obtained the female if the turtle had ever been paired with any other Box Turtle species/subspecies while in his/her possession. Female Box Turtles are said to be able to store sperm for long periods of time, but I have no idea how long that might be.

If the previous owner doesn't recall or doesn't answer you, then you will most likely have to grow the babies up and see what transpires as they mature. Or you could try getting a DNA test done if you can find a vet who will do it. The Omaha Zoo Genetics Department has a large database of chelonian DNA. You could check with them and see if they would have any interest in running such a test for you or could possibly refer you to someone who would do it.

Good luck.
I contacted the previous owner and no response yet but i'll be sure to update if they respond.

That would be pretty cool! I'll grow them up and see what happens, if i get curious enough i'll try the DNA thing for sure.

xChadN

Oklahoma
Last little update for everyone that is interested. They are doing good! All of them have completely hatched and absorbed most of their yolk. Should be ready to go into their grow out enclosures within the next few days. Thanks for everyone who helped! :)
IMG_7478.pngIMG_7480.pngIMG_7482.pngIMG_7475.jpg

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK