Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
moochie said:
Tom said:
Pairs seldom work out. They do much better when they are kept alone. Some people do it in groups of three or more successfully, but in just a pair one is almost always dominant. Even if you don't see overt bullying, there are still subtle things happening that are not good for the well being of the less dominant one. I would expect the newcomer to the territory to be the one who gets dominated and becomes less active. Try separating them for a while and see how Hard Hat does. A brief adjustment period is not unusual, but that period could be really long with an already established tort in the territory.

Sounds like some good advice and insight. Just like we use body-language to communicate, I don't see any overt bullying but I'm sure Hercules is dominating him in tort ways I don't understand. I think I'll try separating them and see if Hard Hat perks up. Its a shame because he was so personable and "perky" when I chose him. Otherwise I may consider a third tort (are you sure we're not dealing w/ rabbits 'cuz my tort population seems to be multiplying like them!) ;) thx, Mark

Its like potato chips. "Betcha can't have just one."

DesertGrandma said:
Tom said:
Pairs seldom work out. They do much better when they are kept alone. Some people do it in groups of three or more successfully, but in just a pair one is almost always dominant. Even if you don't see overt bullying, there are still subtle things happening that are not good for the well being of the less dominant one. I would expect the newcomer to the territory to be the one who gets dominated and becomes less active. Try separating them for a while and see how Hard Hat does. A brief adjustment period is not unusual, but that period could be really long with an already established tort in the territory.

I don't mean to go off topic, but do you think that is also true of Leopards?

Hi again Moochie

In my experience, this is less prevalent in Leopards, but still very possible. Adult male pp frequently battle like adult male sulcatas, according to the breeder, but I know of several relatively peaceful pb groups with multiple males.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
DesertGrandma said:
Tom said:

I don't mean to go off topic, but do you think that is also true of leopards

Very much so, even in larger groups. I have 3.3 and have to keep them seperated. But, it's true for a lot of chelonians I would think.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Neal said:
DesertGrandma said:
Tom said:

I don't mean to go off topic, but do you think that is also true of leopards

Very much so, even in larger groups. I have 3.3 and have to keep them seperated. But, it's true for a lot of chelonians I would think.

Thanks Neal. That's good to know. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.