Status
Not open for further replies.

RedLocks

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gilbert, AZ
Hello everyone!

I am the proud keeper of 3 desert tortoises here in Arizona...I have had desert tortoises for my entire life.
I found this forum in my search for information on Mycoplasma & desert tortoises. Scar, our 30-35 year old male, wasn't coming out of hibernation and the others were out and doing fine...so, I pulled him out and sure enough he has an infection. Got him into the vet on Tuesday, and they said he needs 10 shots of Baytril - one every other day. This morning was my first attempt at giving that shot...and let's just say, it did not go so well. Anyway, I have been keeping him indoors in a big palstic tub...he is completely inactive, doesn't want to eat or drink and has not even brought his head out of his shell. On Monday when I pulled him out of his burrow and put him in the sun, he did come out and move around a little...but ever since the vet visit on Tuesday there has been zero activity. I think if I increase his temps that should help...can I do this with a heating pad, or does this need to be done with a heat lamp? What about a ceramic heat emitter? I already have one of those. Also, someone on another herp forum I visit said that I will need UVB light for him. Does he need this all day long, or ?? Also, the vet recommended I do warm water soaks to help loosen up the junk in his lungs...have your vets recommended this to you before? Some people that I have mentioned that to seem to think that sounds a little strange. It is a well respected herp-vet here in AZ, so I am inclined to trust him....Any info at all on this subject would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Tamara & Scar

Attachments

• scar.jpg
    scar.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 24

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Welcome to TFO, RedLocks.
Glad you found us! Sorry to hear about the infection... I personally have no experience with DT's, but there are experienced keepers of that species here that will surely help you out.
Fantastic tort you've got there. Is that Thor, Sundance or Scar?
cheers,
T.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Hi Tamara, Welcome aboard! Glad you found us here. I would suggest using the ceramic heat emitter over Scar and aim for a 100-115F basking area for him. Since he primarily lives outside I would not suggest investing in the UVB bulb for just a few weeks of TLC inside. A good fluorescent light will be just fine for his lighting needs indoors. If your Vet recommended the warm water soaks I would follow that. Also keep in mind that most torts done have much of an appetite while taking baytril and can be a bit blah. The heat emitter and the warm water soaks will help with the blahs somewhat. The water soaks will also help you maintain his hydration level as well. Dont want him getting dehydrated on top of the infection! :) Hope this all helps. Im sure there will be plenty of others chiming in here.

I sure do miss AZ and my DTs!!!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Welcome to the forum Tamara! So sorry to hear about Scar. Please keep us posted on his recovery!

RedLocks

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Testudo Geek - That is Scar in the picture...I can't say this too loud because Scar is here at work with me, but he is not exactly our 'cover model' tortoise ;) He had a rough life before we got him, so he is a little beat up. I will post pictures of Thor & Sundance, the ones we raised from babies, soon! They are all beautiful in their own little way though :)

JustAnja - Thanks for the info!! I am relieved to hear that the Baytril can make them a little 'blah' because he certainly has been!! Why in the world would you go from AZ to WI!? That is a big transition!! If you want to come back to AZ, I will let you stay with us for free if you will give Scar his injections!! haha This morning was my first try...and I just couldn't do it!! We are off to the vet shortly so they can do it for today...and hopefully give me some more tips or something so I can do it!! I don't think Scar should be my first ever injection patient...I am nervous, and he is not at all helpful. I wasn't even able to pull his leg out to get to the spot between the neck and leg. They said I could give it in the front if I couldn't pull the leg out, but that it is much harder. And they weren't kidding. :(

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Welcome to TFO!!!! What part of AZ are you in?? I'm in Surprise! Shots can be a pain, but once you get a handle on it it will be a breeze. But depending on where you are if you still need help let me know, I'd be glad to help. What vet do you go to, just curious, I always like to find out peoples opionons on vets around here. Good Luck and I hope he gets better soon, Just remember to keep him warm & hydrated.

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
hi and welcome to the forum:)

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Welcome, I'm another one from AZ.

RedLocks

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Jen - I am in Gilbert...the other side of the universe from you LOL
We use Dr. Todd Driggers for the herp's....We have used him in the past for other tortoise issues, and I have used him for my Leopard Gecko as well. I think he is great...who do you use?
I took Scar in to the vet for help with his shot today and I decided to just go ahead and leave him there. He is so strong...I can't pull his leg out to give the shot in the softer part between his neck and leg...I tried standing him upright on his butt hoping he would start flapping his front legs around so I could get a hold of one, but he will not move. He just stays all tucked in as far as he can...and call me a sissy, but I just can't bring myself to stab the needle in there hard enough to get through the tough skin on the front of his legs. When I finally got up the nerve to really try and get it through there, he started making mucous-y breathing sounds...just too much for both of us to deal with I think. I am not comfortable giving shots, much less trying to give it on one of the toughest spots on their body! It will cost us more in the end, but I am glad he is in knowledgeable hands...and not having to put up with me. I wouldn't want some amateur poking & prodding me while I was sick!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I've been using Dr. Funk, but I have been thinking about switching to one that only does reptiles. Dr. Funk does takes all animals.

RedLocks

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
jenrell23 said:
I've been using Dr. Funk, but I have been thinking about switching to one that only does reptiles. Dr. Funk does takes all animals.

Ahhh Dr. Funk..I like him too...my mom used him one time waaayyy back for one tortoise...I used him for my rat's though! I don't have them anymore, but he is very good. I couldn't be happier with Dr. Driggers though...is that who you mean by the one that does only reptiles? Or someone else? Dr. Driggers does avian as well...but otherwise, all reptiles.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
I haven't had to use him yet, but my local Vet just quit taking reptiles and started referring out all reptiles to Dr. Funk. I've heard lots of good comments about him.
So now I'll be looking at a 1hr drive instead of a 10 minute drive.
Where is Dr. Driggers located? I may want to keep the info handy.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I knew Dr Funk when he first moved to AZ in 1998 or 99. He is very knowledgeable and a fantastic Vet. He photographed many of my native rattlesnakes when I lived there and I also passed my education Gila Monster on to him when I left Arizona. I would not hesitate referring anyone to Dr Funk. :)

RedLocks

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Dr. Drigger's is in Gilbert...slightly farther than Dr. Funk from you, actually. I would say Dr. Funk's office is more convenient because it is a larger practice with several vets so they have extended hours and things. Dr. Drigger's office is just him plus one office girl and one tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.