Howdy from Phoenix/Glendale AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

moochie

5 Year Member
Hey All,
New to this list and realized I hadn't intro'd myself. I have a yearling Sulcata named Herc (short for Hercules). I'm actively searching for a companion tort around the same size, 4" - 5". Anyone know of a reliable breeder in my area? Arizona Reptile Center in Mesa comes pretty well recommended, anyone have dealings w/ them or have other suggestions? Thanks, Mark

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Arizona Tortoise Compound is a member here. Don't know if he breed's sulcata's.

Oh, and Welcome :)

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
welcome !! Im new here too, you'll get loads of great advice and some fun on the way too :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mark:

Welcome to the forum!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Mick at the AZ Tortoise Compound is great. If he doesn't have that size, you might try Tyler at Toirtoisesupply.com.

Christy P. is another AZ member with great tortoises too, but I don't know if she has any that size.

I hate mentioning specific names because I'm always afraid I'll leave somebody out. There are lots of good breeders here on the forum, but that size can sometimes be harder to find than hatchlings.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
AZ reptile center is good, I havn't been there in a few months, but they had some sulcatas that size with the smoothest shells I have ever seen. I purchased an adult leopard from them some years back. Pet's Inc is pretty good too, but they will likely not have any of the size you are looking for.

helenab

5 Year Member
Neal said:
AZ reptile center is good, I havn't been there in a few months, but they had some sulcatas that size with the smoothest shells I have ever seen. I purchased an adult leopard from them some years back. Pet's Inc is pretty good too, but they will likely not have any of the size you are looking for.

we were there Sunday and the place was awesome, clean and all looked very healthy (thats coming from a newbie). They have many babies right now.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
welcome to the forum. RV came from Pets Inc. I think they have babies right now..

teri

moochie

5 Year Member
I was impressed by AZ Reptile Center in Mesa. I found a nice yearling Sulcata, bought em, and named him Hard Hat. He was really active and had a great personality. I brought him home and since intro'ing the tort to Hercules, I think he's depressed 'cuz he just mopes around. I'm hoping its just an adjustment period. Any suggestions? thx, Mark

helenab

5 Year Member
helenab said:
Neal said:

we were there Sunday and the place was awesome, clean and all looked very healthy (thats coming from a newbie). They have many babies right now.

Okay Mike just told me we were not there, sorry different place we were at lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pairs seldom work out. They do much better when they are kept alone. Some people do it in groups of three or more successfully, but in just a pair one is almost always dominant. Even if you don't see overt bullying, there are still subtle things happening that are not good for the well being of the less dominant one. I would expect the newcomer to the territory to be the one who gets dominated and becomes less active. Try separating them for a while and see how Hard Hat does. A brief adjustment period is not unusual, but that period could be really long with an already established tort in the territory.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom said:
Pairs seldom work out. They do much better when they are kept alone. Some people do it in groups of three or more successfully, but in just a pair one is almost always dominant. Even if you don't see overt bullying, there are still subtle things happening that are not good for the well being of the less dominant one. I would expect the newcomer to the territory to be the one who gets dominated and becomes less active. Try separating them for a while and see how Hard Hat does. A brief adjustment period is not unusual, but that period could be really long with an already established tort in the territory.

I don't mean to go off topic, but do you think that is also true of Leopards?

Hi again Moochie

moochie

5 Year Member
Tom said:

Sounds like some good advice and insight. Just like we use body-language to communicate, I don't see any overt bullying but I'm sure Hercules is dominating him in tort ways I don't understand. I think I'll try separating them and see if Hard Hat perks up. Its a shame because he was so personable and "perky" when I chose him. Otherwise I may consider a third tort (are you sure we're not dealing w/ rabbits 'cuz my tort population seems to be multiplying like them!) ;) thx, Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.