How warm can you keep a shed during Winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Hey all, I'm wondering if there's only so much warmth you can add to an outdoor shed?
I'm looking to get either a Sulcata or a Russian tortoise, preferably a Sulcata. We have a big area already fenced off (around 80x60 feet) and decent shed-building experience.
Problem is Winter nights can get below freezing, sometimes into the 20s.
Can you keep an insulated shed at 60-70 degrees in 20-30 degree weather, and would it pose a big fire hazard?

Thanks in advance :)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Yes, it can be done safely,The most important part is the way it is insulated,I have a 8 ft x 8ft house for my sulcata with a 4 foot center peak height that I heat with a 3 x 4 ft heat pad and a 150 watt CHE, I have circulating hot water tubing as a backup in the floor, but have never needed it, I am located in weather zone 7 and sometimes we get single digit temps for short periods during winter,(except last winter which never happened), all walls, floors and roof are 6 inches thick insulated with with foil faced, urethane, Styrofoam, fiberglass, and or mineral wool, with 6 mill poly behind the plywood to help moisture control and air loss through any cracks I might have missed.The ceiling is done with a finish of .032 roll aluminum jacket with caulked seams. I know it may sound like overkill but I didn't want to have to redo it anytime soon,(really ever) Good Luck with your project.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I agree. I live in zone 5, cold winters. I plan on doing the same for my leopard when he gets older. With good insulation and a good heater, the radiant or oil filled heaters on a thermostat it should stay nice and cozy..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Len said:
Yes, it can be done safely,The most important part is the way it is insulated,I have a 8 ft x 8ft house for my sulcata with a 4 foot center peak height that I heat with a 3 x 4 ft heat pad and a 150 watt CHE, I have circulating hot water tubing as a backup in the floor, but have never needed it, I am located in weather zone 7 and sometimes we get single digit temps for short periods during winter,(except last winter which never happened), all walls, floors and roof are 6 inches thick insulated with with foil faced, urethane, Styrofoam, fiberglass, and or mineral wool, with 6 mill poly behind the plywood to help moisture control and air loss through any cracks I might have missed.The ceiling is done with a finish of .032 roll aluminum jacket with caulked seams. I know it may sound like overkill but I didn't want to have to redo it anytime soon,(really ever) Good Luck with your project.

Len, I got news for you... your tortoise is going to outlive that shed. :)

Jon, this is what I did. I'm in Southern CA too, and this is working great for me. The size can be adjusted very easily. I use a thermostat and keep mine at 80 all winter long.
Click here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Mother-of-All-Tortoise-Boxes#axzz1y06d138Q

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Tom said:
Len said:

Len, I got news for you... your tortoise is going to outlive that shed. :)

Jon, this is what I did. I'm in Southern CA too, and this is working great for me. The size can be adjusted very easily. I use a thermostat and keep mine at 80 all winter long.
Click here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Mother-of-All-Tortoise-Boxes#axzz1y06d138Q
Hey Tom, I know Walker is going to outlive the shed but the shed will outlive me :) and at that time the new caretaker (granddaughter) can build him a new modern bungalow with part of her inheritance,:D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Len said:

Wow doesnt get much better than that:D

Status
Not open for further replies.