Shed Enclosure Questions

TortLaw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
shed.jpg
We are moving soon to a house with a great big yard which includes this shed. This shed was a selling point of the house and will be used to house my three Cherryhead Redfoots. My torts are all still quite young (1-2 years) and small, so they will not be allowed to roam outside the shed without supervision for now, but I'd still like to transfer them out of their indoor enclosure and into the shed as soon as possible to give them more space.

Right now, they are in this indoor enclosure I built which still suits them well, but more space is always better:
Enclosure.jpg

So first, I'm wondering what is the best way to insulate the shed from the cold as it is already built and unfortunately did not have the easy option of enclosing insulation in the walls as it was built? Second, I'm wondering if there is any reason why I cannot keep my torts in the shed year-round if it is insulated well enough? I know that often people on this forum talk about bringing their torts in for the winter, but I don't know if that is just because they don't have an adequate outdoor setup and/or don't want to pay the higher electricity bill for the outdoor setup. Ideally I'd like to keep my torts in the shed year-round perhaps bringing them inside on extra cold nights.

For information on our weather, I live in Colorado and the winter temps do get quite cold. On average the temps are in the 20s and 30s for most winter weeks. Sometimes, like we just had recently, the winter temps are especially high in the 40s, 50s, 60s, and sometimes, like we are experiencing right now, the winter temps never get above the teens and drop into the single digits or negative temps at night. Those extreme cold temps are generally only experienced for a week at a time several times a winter.

The other two questions I have are what is best to use on the inside walls for protection from moisture humidity (paint, sealant, certain brands, etc)? and has anyone ever installed sprinklers in an outdoor shed for torts that require high humidity (as we have almost no humidity in Colorado) and have any advice?

Thanks for your help in advance!

M

Maggie Cummings

My Sulcata shed is 20'X12' and I use a Vicks vaporizer, provides ,lots of humidity....you might think about using those sheets of Styrofoam insulation. I have a Sulcata and a Hermanni living in an outside shed year round on the PNW...

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Love the shed ! Sorry, no advice on insulation, we live in So. FL.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is the inside of the shed (beautiful by the way), already paneled or are the frames exposed?

TortLaw

5 Year Member
Colorado
It's already paneled, and I don't know if it will make all that big of a difference, but since I just thought of it, I thought I would mention that it already has electricity running to it with outlets, so I couldn't mess with that part and would have to just insulate around it.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
You could drill some 2" holes at the top of the panels (one hole between each stud) and use loose cellulose insulation to fill the walls. Or you could pull the panels off and insulate it.

What kind of paneling is on the inside?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm also interest to see how it look inside of this shed.

Welcome to the forum! !

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
You are going to have with this project! Your so lucky!