HOW BIG?

Emily Contreras

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
So we got a christmas tree tote from walmart for 25 dollars, it is 53"L x 21"W x 14"H
Is this big enough? Or should we return in and try to find a bigger one?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Depends upon what you're going to put in it. I have found that size is perfect for the three little desert tortoise hatchlings I'm raising. But would I put a full grown Russian tortoise in it? Probably not.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Depends upon what you're going to put in it. I have found that size is perfect for the three little desert tortoise hatchlings I'm raising. But would I put a full grown Russian tortoise in it? Probably not.
Okay thank you! Im putting 2 hides, a water dish, and a food dish, maybe some decorations

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you misunderstood my response. I meant it depends upon what size and species of tortoise you're going to use the tub for.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He'll be fine in there this year, but next summer you may need to be thinking about something larger.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OKay thanks!!

When hes a year old, or a year and a half, we are giving him an outside enclosure
Your baby should have an indoor and an outdoor enclosure now. Short outdoor excursions for sun, grazing and exercise during fair weather and indoors the rest of the time for babies. As the tortoise gains size, more outside time is good. I always soak them when I'm bringing them back inside.

They all grow at different rates, so your baby might not be big enough to live outside full time next year.

I think that tub size is okay to start a tiny baby in, but the short walls concern me. As long as the top is mostly covered and you are able to maintain the correct warm and humid conditions, it should be okay temporarily. If your baby is healthy, well started and well hydrated, it will outgrow that tub in 2 or 3 months. You are going to need a very large indoor closed chamber until your baby reaches at least 8-10" and is ready to live outside full time with a heated night box.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Your baby should have an indoor and an outdoor enclosure now. Short outdoor excursions for sun, grazing and exercise during fair weather and indoors the rest of the time for babies. As the tortoise gains size, more outside time is good. I always soak them when I'm bringing them back inside.

They all grow at different rates, so your baby might not be big enough to live outside full time next year.

I think that tub size is okay to start a tiny baby in, but the short walls concern me. As long as the top is mostly covered and you are able to maintain the correct warm and humid conditions, it should be okay temporarily. If your baby is healthy, well started and well hydrated, it will outgrow that tub in 2 or 3 months. You are going to need a very large indoor closed chamber until your baby reaches at least 8-10" and is ready to live outside full time with a heated night box.
Now? How long should he be outside during the day? I let him outside for atleast an hour. to graze, (supervised)

And i sure do hope he grows fast.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Now? How long should he be outside during the day? I let him outside for atleast an hour. to graze, (supervised)

And i sure do hope he grows fast.
My general rule for sulcata babies is one hour of access to sun for each inch of tortoise, during fair weather.

The tortoise should only ever be in a safe, large, well designed enclosure. It should never be loose in the yard. No matter how careful you intend to be, or how closely you plan to supervise, there is always a moment of inattention. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually there will be a few seconds of complacency and your tortoise will seemingly magically disappear. Ask me how I know this. Ask me how I learned this valuable lesson. Go ahead! Ask me! I dare ya! :p

Emily Contreras

Arizona
My general rule for sulcata babies is one hour of access to sun for each inch of tortoise, during fair weather.

The tortoise should only ever be in a safe, large, well designed enclosure. It should never be loose in the yard. No matter how careful you intend to be, or how closely you plan to supervise, there is always a moment of inattention. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually there will be a few seconds of complacency and your tortoise will seemingly magically disappear. Ask me how I know this. Ask me how I learned this valuable lesson. Go ahead! Ask me! I dare ya! :p

How did you learn this valuable lesson?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wanna know.. Because whatever it is, I don't want to learn the hard way.
I spent hours on my hands and knees frantically searching in a panic for my little tortoise that was just there a second ago, and I just looked away for a second…

It is an AWFUL feeling. Anyone whose ever had it happen will attest to that horrid adrenaline dump and feeling of sheer panic when you realize they are gone, and wish with all your heart that you could go back in time and not make whatever mistake you just made.

This unpleasant experience will eventually befall anyone who lets their little tortoise run loose outside of a secure enclosure. When it does, your sore knees will remind you for days not to do it again. Or… people can learn from MY mistake, and never have to learn this lesson the hard way, as I stupidly did.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
I spent hours on my hands and knees frantically searching in a panic for my little tortoise that was just there a second ago, and I just looked away for a second…

It is an AWFUL feeling. Anyone whose ever had it happen will attest to that horrid adrenaline dump and feeling of sheer panic when you realize they are gone, and wish with all your heart that you could go back in time and not make whatever mistake you just made.

This unpleasant experience will eventually befall anyone who lets their little tortoise run loose outside of a secure enclosure. When it does, your sore knees will remind you for days not to do it again. Or… people can learn from MY mistake, and never have to learn this lesson the hard way, as I stupidly did.
I wouldn't know what to do if he was gone. I would just freeze. in panic.. Thats so scary. I probably would have had that happen to me if you didnt tell me.
Thanks for sharing. I will build him a little thing to run around in today.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't know what to do if he was gone. I would just freeze. in panic.. Thats so scary. I probably would have had that happen to me if you didnt tell me.
Thanks for sharing. I will build him a little thing to run around in today.
Here are several ideas:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/cheap-easy-simple-sunning-enclosure.14680/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/simple-sunning-enclosure.104351/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-enclosures.121732/