How to Recognize Pyramiding?

sarahlynne

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Louisiana
Hello! My sulcata is only a few months old and we just got him a few days ago. I'm not sure if the pet store we got him from took proper care of him and was wondering if it looks like his shell is being too/already has started to pyramid.
Thank you!IMG_4509.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes. Your tortoise is pyramiding. Please read this thread on the same question:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/posts/1430718/

You will need to read the care sheets at the top of the Sulcata section here as well as your setup will need some adjustments. The pellets, for example, make a terrrible substrate. Humidity has to be up, etc,etc. Please read the posts "pinned" to the top of this section and come back with any questions.

sarahlynne

Southern Louisiana
Yes. Your tortoise is pyramiding. Please read this thread on the same question:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/posts/1430718/

You will need to read the care sheets at the top of the Sulcata section here as well as your setup will need some adjustments. The pellets, for example, make a terrrible substrate. Humidity has to be up, etc,etc. Please read the posts "pinned" to the top of this section and come back with any questions.
I've read so many mixed reviews on alfalfa pellets and was wondering why they make a bad substrate? I have started to mist his tank regularly with water, and am very careful about watching for mold. Other than it being dry I don't know if there are any other concerns about it, can you please tell me if there is?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
There is no way to maintain 80% RH consistently without wetting the substrate. Also the wet substrate creates a more suitable micro environment as the tortoise will often dig out a depression to rest in, with it's shell more in contact with the moist substrate. You cannot keep the pellets wet, and in fact, they do absorb whatever moisture you try to add.

You can tell by the way it has grown so far, your tortoise was kept way too dry. It is pyramiding and actually looks dehydrated as the profile of the shell is a bit flattened from top to sides instead of rounded. Perhaps it has not had enough UVB exposure as well??

I am sure you will fix all this and your tortoise is lucky to have you now.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

Your Sulcata needs warm humidity to be healthy

To do this you need all the following:
- A closed chamber... that is an enclosure with a lid
- An earth-like substrate that is evenly damp. Fine grade orchid bark and coco coir are popular on TFO as they hold moisture well. Dampen it by tipping water into the substrate and mix it thoroughly with your hands until it is all damp, but not wet (You will need to repeat this every few weeks)
- Mist the enclosure a couple of times a day with water from a plant spray bottle
- The correct temperatures in the enclosure

The above is just a summary. For a complete and up-to-date guide on How to Raise A Healthy Sulcata you should read this guide written by one of TFOs species experts
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

I also recommend reading Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pellets are bad because your tortoise needs a moist substrate and if you moisten the pellets (I said 'moisten' not spray) they will grow mold. Baby sulcatas hatch out during the monsoon season, so they live the first few months of their lives in moist (Humid), warm conditions. The warm humidity is what helps the shell grow smoothly.

The info in those links shown above will help you get your habitat set up properly. You need to forget all about what other people have told you or what you've read elsewhere and just go by our care sheets here. We have up-to-date information and won't steer you wrong.