How To Raise Sulcata Hatchlings and Babies discussion thread

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Thank you Tom! Actually, thank you is not enough! Your expertise is incredible and very much appreciated! I am reading your help posts now. AND of course I had one of those AH HAH! "I knew that" moments. Looking at your outdoor sunning enclosures for your little ones now. Much like my Boxie enclosure. Inspired me to do more here for my tortoises as well as help my daughter get her yard set up in a way that will work for her sully baby.

I've had a real challenge for years in keeping foods growing for my tortoises. Seems the wild cotton tails combined with my tortoises clean out anything I plant from seed in just a matter of weeks. I now have some new plans that will hopefully allow planting to get stronger before the critters get to it and tortoises wake from their next hibernation. Bunny proofing for the Winter and Early Spring basically. And will attempt to get some Bermuda Sod planted as well, so that it has a strong start.

Again, many thanks for your help!

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but what do people do as a lid for a closed chamber?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Linz2491 said:
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but what do people do as a lid for a closed chamber?

I don't use a lid for mine. I have sliding doors that open in front. Some people cover the tops with foil or plastic and leave room for the lights. I don't like that method as it creates a chimney effect which lifts all the heat and humidity out. I prefer to have the lights contained INSIDE the enclosure. Like this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

griefold

5 Year Member
Should I keep my sully alone or go with my gut and get it a companion. I am looking into getting a second one and I am unsure. I here both sides saying yes and no and am confused. Of course most all breeders say yes, and a few owners say no. How about a better answer that makes sense. My sully is alone right now and spends most of its day sitting asleep, I know that is what they do all the time, but as it gets older will it need companionship of another sully?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
griefold said:
Should I keep my sully alone or go with my gut and get it a companion. I am looking into getting a second one and I am unsure. I here both sides saying yes and no and am confused. Of course most all breeders say yes, and a few owners say no. How about a better answer that makes sense. My sully is alone right now and spends most of its day sitting asleep, I know that is what they do all the time, but as it gets older will it need companionship of another sully?

Most tortoise species live alone in the wild and prefer it that way. Sulcatas are one of the most aggressive and territorial species of them all. They can usually get along fine when they are young, but most males must be separated once they get a little older. Pairs are a bad idea. It seldom works out. One will always be dominant and that one will want the other one to leave its territory. The submissive will want to leave, but your enclosure will prevent this. It can be very stressful for both. Typically they will do better in groups, because its not so personal, but the best scenario is one tortoise as the sole king of the castle.

Your tortoise does not need or want a companion. Another tortoise would be viewed as an intruder, combatant, or tormentor. I'm telling you this as a breeder with lots of babies to sell. Do not go with your gut in this case.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
nathannienhuis said:
Does all of this information apply for leopards as well?

Yes. And While I do not have much personal experience, others have stated that it works for stars and radiated tortoises too.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I had an opportunity Saturday to attend a reptile picnic, and there were 5 Sulcata present.
One was mine Mo, who is technically still a juvenile...prob 3-4 years old, 5-6 lbs and about 12"

The other four were adults. 50-80 lbs. one male would keep trying to breed the only female, the others content to graze in the huge mowed backyard.
There was plenty of space to keep everyone content...accept when the 117 year old Yellow Foot came to investigate (apparently in tortoise land, the grass is always greener under someone else's shell), then the jousting began. They'd argue and ram each other for 5 minutes then seemingly get bored and mosey off.

They had a huge space to generally stay out of each others way. I can totally see (nice to witness with my own eyes vs YouTube, articles, threads) how territorial and potentially LETHAL a large adult Sulcata can be.

Interestingly enough, they only sniffed Mo. He was not a threat. But the owner (rescue expert) said by next year Mo should be twice his size and more of a threat.

Hope this experience of mine helps educate people. It certainly did myself. You can READ this info, but until you see it and HEAR it......well......wow.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379339518.209139.jpg

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Last edited by a moderator:

tortwalt

5 Year Member
I've got a question that I know has so many variables, but how long could a hatchling stay in a 75 gallon enclosure before it has to be put outside all the time? I will be bringing it outside as often as needed. I live in southwest Louisiana. Thanks in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
tortwalt said:
I've got a question that I know has so many variables, but how long could a hatchling stay in a 75 gallon enclosure before it has to be put outside all the time? I will be bringing it outside as often as needed. I live in southwest Louisiana. Thanks in advance!

Hi Walt, and welcome to the Forum!

There is no correct answer to that question. You move the tortoise out of the 75 gallon habitat when he gets too big to live in it anymore. He will be going outside during warm weather, but brought back inside for the night until he is big enough not to be carried off during the night by predators. If you live in an area where predators are large, then he may have to come in at night for a very long time. This is all up to you and where you live.

Tortoises need lots of exercise. If your tortoise gets too big to move around freely in the 75 gallon, then he's big enough to go outside during the day into a safe and secure habitat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortwalt said:

Yvonne fielded this one well, I think.

I would add that you are missing a big intermediate step. With normal growth, the 75 will last about 4-6 months tops. Your tortoise won't be ready to live outside full time at that point, in my opinion. You will need a much larger enclosure to function as the indoor/night time enclosure for a while. I like to have a large outdoor enclosure for nice weather, and a large indoor enclosure for inclement weather and nights.

I don't move mine outside full time until they are around 8-10". This is usually at 1.5-2 years for me. I use a 4x8' indoors prior to that. Because growth rates can vary so much, for so many reasons, there is no way to predict when yours will hit that size.

Here is what I do when they do move outside full time:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-28662.html

or this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

Here is how I like to house them indoors:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

griefold

5 Year Member
Along those lines, I have a healthy looking sulcata that is about 2 months old at this time. Problem is I am worried about his weight. Each week I weigh and measure him and for the last four weeks he has been 80 grams. Should I be worried or is this alright for this stage in his growth.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
griefold said:
Along those lines, I have a healthy looking sulcata that is about 2 months old at this time. Problem is I am worried about his weight. Each week I weigh and measure him and for the last four weeks he has been 80 grams. Should I be worried or is this alright for this stage in his growth.
You may get more responses if you start a new thread with your specific question about weight gain, or the absence of it. It would give an opportunity to discuss husbandry issues specific to your tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
griefold said:

Something is wrong if he hasn't grown for two months. Not normal.

I like Joe's suggestion. Start a thread and give us all the details. Maybe we will be able to identify the problem.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Tom,
What is your opinion of wheat grass? "The boys" have nibbled on it a bit (note the clumps growing)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381981143.972533.jpg

I'm sprouting some random "shade mix", which is the only seeds the local hardware store had at that time.
I plan to buy the Testudo mix soon and get that sprouting. I want to avoid spring mix, but this time of year in Oregon, things are limited. Stuck with grocery store greens.

And this is the only seed mix the local store had....opinion? Mood, bad, acceptable?
I have other torts (Mediterranean sp. as well, but the babies are my main concern.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381983167.447479.jpg

Mood???? GOOD!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
SenjiSandy said:
Tom,
What is your opinion of wheat grass? "The boys" have nibbled on it a bit (note the clumps growing)

I'm sprouting some random "shade mix", which is the only seeds the local hardware store had at that time.
I plan to buy the Testudo mix soon and get that sprouting. I want to avoid spring mix, but this time of year in Oregon, things are limited. Stuck with grocery store greens.

Hell Sandy, I could've given you a shovelful of clean dirt full of two types of pasture grass, white clover, cats ear, dandelion, and if you were lucky, some narrow leaf plantain.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wheat grass from the pet store or the grocery store is good stuff.

Spring mix is okay too. Go to tortoisesupply.com and get the "Salad Style" or similar product and try Tyler's new dried herbal salad mix. If you just sprinkle some of either of those on top of the grocery store greens, it is instantly better. And both of your babies have eaten both of Tyler's products several times since they hatched.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Cowboy_Ken said:
SenjiSandy said:
Tom,

Hell Sandy, I could've given you a shovelful of clean dirt full of two types of pasture grass, white clover, cats ear, dandelion, and if you were lucky, some narrow leaf plantain.

A shovelful of dirt, now THAT is a true friend [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Tom said:
Wheat grass from the pet store or the grocery store is good stuff.

Spring mix is okay too. Go to tortoisesupply.com and get the "Salad Style" or similar product and try Tyler's new dried herbal salad mix. If you just sprinkle some of either of those on top of the grocery store greens, it is instantly better. And both of your babies have eaten both of Tyler's products several times since they hatched.

It's organic wheat grass, even. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Ok, I will give the salad style a whirl. I've seen you post about it before.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ken might not have good sulcata weather, but he sure has good sulcata FOOD!