How To Raise Sulcata Hatchlings and Babies discussion thread

Here are my thoughts on how to house, feed and care for hatchling and small sulcatas:

Indoor Housing: The bigger the better. Got room for a 4x8' tortoise table? Great! Sweater boxes and Christmas tree storage bins work great. Contrary to the popular trend right now, I actually PREFER glass tanks for all the reasons people say they are bad. "They are too tall and restrict airflow." Great! More humidity. "The tall sides hold in too much heat." Great! I can use a lower wattage bulb and my tortoise will stay warmer for less $. "They can see out and this invisible barrier causes stress." After 20 years of sulcatas in glass tanks, this has never been a problem for me. You can tape something opaque to the glass, if they constantly rub their nose on it or try to walk through it. I have never had to do this. I like them being able to see me, and me them. You can also use horse watering troughs, cement mixing tubs or large reptile tubs. I generally prefer something waterproof because babies need high humidity and moisture. Wood does not hold up well when its wet all the time and must be sealed somehow.

Substrate: Coco coir. Cypress mulch. Orchid bark. Plain, additive free, soil. Sphagnum peat moss. Pick one or any combination. I recommend you do NOT use any sand, wood shavings, corn cob bedding, walnut shell bedding, alfalfa or grass pellets, newspaper bedding, any type of hay or any other new fad bedding that comes along. Keep your substrate damp to increase the humidity in the enclosure. If you can keep your humidity around 80% at tortoise level, you'll have a healthy, well hydrated, pyramid free, happy tortoise. Sometimes I cover part of the top of the enclosure to hold in humidity.

Humid hide boxes: Use at least one. These will help prevent dehydration and pyramiding and simulate the humid burrows that they would have in the wild, to a degree. I like to use plastic shoe boxes for these and semi-bury them in the substrate. I use a Dremel tool to cut out the right size door hole and a quarter inch drill bit to make a couple of ventilation holes on opposing sides. If they don't use them on their own, I try to "train" them to use them by putting them in the boxes after lights out. Here's an example of a couple:
2rhqtxg.jpg

I use fine coco coir inside them as it does not mold or grow any fungus. I like to keep it wet in there.

Heat: I like to use small, 35-50watt, overhead, spot or flood bulbs for this. Always use ceramic fixtures, never the cheaper plastic ones. In a cool house, I'll use a bulb like this AND a ceramic heating element (CHE). Keep them both over one side. This will be the "warm" side and it should be 80-90 degrees. Directly under your bulb will be the "basking spot" and it should be 100-110 degrees, but only in that one spot. The other side of the enclosure should be around 75-80 and will serve as the "cool" side. "Night" temps should stay 75-80ish. These temps will insure that your little tort does not get sick with all the humidity in there. These are the four temps to be concerned with. They should be regularly checked with a temp gun AND a remote probed thermometer. Temps can be adjusted by raising or lowering your bulbs or raising or lowering the wattage. You do not need Mercury Vapor Bulbs or any other UV bulbs if your tortoise gets regular sunshine. 20-30 minutes twice a week is adequate, more is better. Put your light bulb on a timer for around 12 hours a day. They need it dark at night. This is where the CHE comes in. It keeps them warm AND dark at night. Also, I like to project my spot bulb down onto a flat rock or a piece of slate. They can bask on it and it absorbs and radiates the heat from the bulb over a larger area when they are not on it. This also gives you a good place to measure your basking temp with your heat gun. Here's an example of a basic enclosure to show what I'm talking about:
1tnajt.jpg

Here's a digital thermometer with a wireless, remote probe.
rrjhgl.jpg

Food: Weeds; mallow, filaree, dandelion, sow thistle, plantain, etc... Grass. Mulberry, rose, hibiscus and grape leaves. Hibiscus and rose flowers. Spineless opuntia cactus. Mazuri mixed in with other greens a couple of times a week. Spring mix and leafy greens from the grocery store. Variety is good. Avoid fruit, and use foods like spinach, broccoli, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, very infrequently, if ever. When they get big, over a foot, you can try to introduce dry grass hay. But babies usually won't eat it.

Supplements: This is debatable and the opinions run the whole spectrum from "none ever" to "lots every day". I like to use Rep-cal twice a week in a very small amount. I use Herptivite once a week in a small amount on one of the days that I didn't use the calcium. Because my torts get sun year round, I do not generally use any calcium with D3 added.

Water: Use a terra cotta plant saucer, or something similar, and bury it so that its flush with the substrate. It will need to be cleaned at least once a day, maybe more.

Sunshine/Outdoor enclosures: Sunshine is necessary. 20-30 minutes twice a week will prevent MBD, but more is better. I like to do an hour or two a day for hatchlings and gradually more as they get bigger. Here is a thread with more info on how to do this safely:
http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Cheap-Easy-Simple-Sunning-Enclosure
Putting them out for some sun will also get them to exercise more which is also very good for them.

Pyramiding prevention: This is all new stuff. You won't see it on an internet care sheet. It is my opinion and the product of 20 years of utter failure and tons of research, observation and trial and error. Lot's of other people helped me to reach these findings, so its not just me. Here is how to grow a smooth, healthy sulcata: Keep them humid, hydrated, warm and spray their shells 3-4 times a day. Yes they are desert animals, but the babies stay hidden in burrows, root balls and leaf litter, where it is HUMID. Babies don't just walk around out in the open in the hot dry air in the wild. They'd get eaten if they did. Once they get to around 6-8" humidity and moisture is much less critical. It is important to get them sunshine, exercise and a good diet too, but hydration, humidity, and moisture is the KEY to preventing pyramiding. Soak them in shallow, warm water at least once a day. I soak them first thing in the morning and again after a sunning session in the hot, dry air here. Sometimes, I'll soak them a third time before lights out. Sulcatas are very resistant to shell rot and fungus. I have never seen a single case of shell rot on a sulcata. As long as they are kept warm (75 or warmer) they will not get respiratory infections either. I have tried to keep one too wet and could not induce any sort of problem. You don't have to go crazy, but do keep them well hydrated. Pyramiding has nothing to do with excess protein or too much food. It has everything to do with MOISTURE, HUMIDITY and HYDRATION.

These things are MY opinion and are based on MY experiences with sulcatas and other torts over the last 20 years. My way is not the only way and other people have also raised smooth sulcatas, but it is very rare and can usually be traced back to high levels of humidity and or hydration. Much of this can also be applied to other species, but as of now, sulcatas are the only one that I have kept THIS wet.

If anyone wants to debate or question any of this please PM me or start a new thread.

The end.
2mfm79i.jpg
Hey Tom...
My hatchling. Harry. Is here. I know the breeder fed a pellet one day. Then mixed greens the next. And alternated. I'll need to ween away from pellets. In your opinion what would be a good daily diet that covers the bases and still can get away from pellets?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
A good daily diet is something different every day. Some pellets are fine. It depends on what kind. I like the Mazuri and the ZooMed grassland stuff. I wouldn't feed either of them daily though.

My recommendations for feeding are all here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Try to use as much variety as you can. If the breeder didn't feed these things, you will need to spend the next few months, slowly, carefully introducing all of this stuff.

He went past the pellet grabbed a bite of kale then kept walking and found grass from my yard and hammered down on it and also ate a few chips from a cuddle bone as well as doing laps around the box

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He went past the pellet grabbed a bite of kale then kept walking and found grass from my yard and hammered down on it and also ate a few chips from a cuddle bone as well as doing laps around the box

All this sounds great.

Right now he is munching down on a mix of kale and vitakraft orchard grass all chopped up and eats a lot of cuddle bone. He actually doesn't like to eat unless I use the bone as his dish. I think I'll switch tomorrow to turnip greens with the grass. I'm curious about spineless cactus or something like that

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
RE: How To Raise Sulcata Hatchlings and Babies.

The whole enclosure, including the hide box should be around 80. Sounds like everything needs to warm up just a bit. I like a basking spot right around 100, but let the tortoise be your guide on that one.
"Let the tortoise be your guide" I'm so using that as my mantra!

Love every part of this thread. Thank you for taking the time to write it and to share your knowledge with us. It's not only your tortoises that benefit from you but all of ours as well. I have a ton to learn and your insight is greatly appreciated!

Alex Chou

Hi, I recently obtained two sulcatas and it has come to my attention that they started pyramiding. I make sure to soak them 4 to 5, sometimes 6, times a week and I started spraying them with water 3 to 4 times a day. Money isn't exactly at our family's disposal at the moment, so is it ok to make do with a makeshift closed chamber with wet cloth towels and a sleep area of a cardboard box and a sponge? It tends to be hot where I live so we usually leave them in an outside enclosure with shade. Is there anything I'm missing?

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
I really appreciate all your posts about Sulcatas, Tom! Im new to the forum and I'm a new tortie parent of a 2 month old hatchling I got off craigslist. After learning all that I have on this site I'm convinced craigslist probably wasn't the best place to get one. But now that I have this little guy under my wing I am determined to do everything in my power to ensure he is being raised healthy. I refer back to your care sheets if I have questions or concerns. I also work at petsmart and have been passing on your research to employees about the importance of humidity. I actually had a chance to talk with some customers that own sulcatas and I told them about humidity, soaking and hydration. They looked at me like I was crazy but promised they would look up more information about it. I know people on here don't have very nice things to say about the information pet stores give out and I completely agree but am someone wanting to learn and am trying to get it right because I truly care. If I have no control over the size tank petsmart keeps their russians tortoises in, at least I can help hydrate them with soaks and misting on my shifts. Anyway, Bogart, is in a closed humid tank, getting soaked twice a day and 30mins of playtime in the yard when its sunny outside (always supervised). Although I hope it stays cloudy in Socal a little long to give us some more rain! I do have a few questions for you or you can refer me to another thread....

Do genetics have a lot to do with the health of the tortoise? If taken care of properly with exercise, no pyramiding, a healthy diet, will there be issues with his health I can't control? Like how german shepherds have a history of hip arthritis etc. if that makes sense.

Why do I see so few older tortoises? Ive read they live average 35-100 years old but I only see a lot of 20-30 yr old ones. Is it because only recently we are learning how to properly care for them in captivity? I want Bogart to grow old with me and my family.

Does rubbing coconut oil, olive oil, vitashell on the shell actually help with hydrating the grow lines? Making them smooth?

Is there some reason why my tortoise doesn't use his hide house? I have it slightly buried on the cooler side ranging around 75-80 with coconut fiber as substrate. He will use it once in a while but for the most part likes to always sleep under the heat lamp ranging in the 90's and hitting a high of 103 sometimes but I'll turn it down when I see that. Humidity is kept in the 80's and 90's constantly. I worry he drys himself out sleeping under the heat lamps all the time.

A big thanks to this forum and everyone on here!!
And thank you Tom. Your post have been my go to for tortie information.

Here is Bogart....IMG_7848.jpgIMG_7768.JPG IMG_7783.jpgIMG_7755.JPG

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
Oh and Tom, I just found your answer to why some don't use their hide huts. I'll just put little Bogey inside the hut after he falls asleep so he can grow smooth and strong haha :D

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Why do I see so few older tortoises? Ive read they live average 35-100 years old but I only see a lot of 20-30 yr old ones. Is it because only recently we are learning how to properly care for them in captivity? I want Bogart to grow old with me and my family.

Does rubbing coconut oil, olive oil, vitashell on the shell actually help with hydrating the grow lines? Making them smooth?

They've only had a strong foothold in the States since the mid 80s...although the first zoo sulcatas were introduced in the late 70s.

If you keep his habitat hot and humid...there's no need for any shell additives. One thing! Whenever you can, avoid tap water...do so! Rainwater, bottled water...anything but tap! Good luck! It sounds like you're headed in the right direction...;)

Bkelly

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Here are my thoughts on how to house, feed and care for hatchling and small sulcatas:

Indoor Housing: The bigger the better. Got room for a 4x8' tortoise table? Great! Sweater boxes and Christmas tree storage bins work great. Contrary to the popular trend right now, I actually PREFER glass tanks for all the reasons people say they are bad. "They are too tall and restrict airflow." Great! More humidity. "The tall sides hold in too much heat." Great! I can use a lower wattage bulb and my tortoise will stay warmer for less $. "They can see out and this invisible barrier causes stress." After 20 years of sulcatas in glass tanks, this has never been a problem for me. You can tape something opaque to the glass, if they constantly rub their nose on it or try to walk through it. I have never had to do this. I like them being able to see me, and me them. You can also use horse watering troughs, cement mixing tubs or large reptile tubs. I generally prefer something waterproof because babies need high humidity and moisture. Wood does not hold up well when its wet all the time and must be sealed somehow.

Substrate: Coco coir. Cypress mulch. Orchid bark. Plain, additive free, soil. Sphagnum peat moss. Pick one or any combination. I recommend you do NOT use any sand, wood shavings, corn cob bedding, walnut shell bedding, alfalfa or grass pellets, newspaper bedding, any type of hay or any other new fad bedding that comes along. Keep your substrate damp to increase the humidity in the enclosure. If you can keep your humidity around 80% at tortoise level, you'll have a healthy, well hydrated, pyramid free, happy tortoise. Sometimes I cover part of the top of the enclosure to hold in humidity.

Humid hide boxes: Use at least one. These will help prevent dehydration and pyramiding and simulate the humid burrows that they would have in the wild, to a degree. I like to use plastic shoe boxes for these and semi-bury them in the substrate. I use a Dremel tool to cut out the right size door hole and a quarter inch drill bit to make a couple of ventilation holes on opposing sides. If they don't use them on their own, I try to "train" them to use them by putting them in the boxes after lights out. Here's an example of a couple:
2rhqtxg.jpg

I use fine coco coir inside them as it does not mold or grow any fungus. I like to keep it wet in there.

Heat: I like to use small, 35-50watt, overhead, spot or flood bulbs for this. Always use ceramic fixtures, never the cheaper plastic ones. In a cool house, I'll use a bulb like this AND a ceramic heating element (CHE). Keep them both over one side. This will be the "warm" side and it should be 80-90 degrees. Directly under your bulb will be the "basking spot" and it should be 100-110 degrees, but only in that one spot. The other side of the enclosure should be around 75-80 and will serve as the "cool" side. "Night" temps should stay 75-80ish. These temps will insure that your little tort does not get sick with all the humidity in there. These are the four temps to be concerned with. They should be regularly checked with a temp gun AND a remote probed thermometer. Temps can be adjusted by raising or lowering your bulbs or raising or lowering the wattage. You do not need Mercury Vapor Bulbs or any other UV bulbs if your tortoise gets regular sunshine. 20-30 minutes twice a week is adequate, more is better. Put your light bulb on a timer for around 12 hours a day. They need it dark at night. This is where the CHE comes in. It keeps them warm AND dark at night. Also, I like to project my spot bulb down onto a flat rock or a piece of slate. They can bask on it and it absorbs and radiates the heat from the bulb over a larger area when they are not on it. This also gives you a good place to measure your basking temp with your heat gun. Here's an example of a basic enclosure to show what I'm talking about:
1tnajt.jpg

Here's a digital thermometer with a wireless, remote probe.
rrjhgl.jpg

Food: Weeds; mallow, filaree, dandelion, sow thistle, plantain, etc... Grass. Mulberry, rose, hibiscus and grape leaves. Hibiscus and rose flowers. Spineless opuntia cactus. Mazuri mixed in with other greens a couple of times a week. Spring mix and leafy greens from the grocery store. Variety is good. Avoid fruit, and use foods like spinach, broccoli, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, very infrequently, if ever. When they get big, over a foot, you can try to introduce dry grass hay. But babies usually won't eat it.

Supplements: This is debatable and the opinions run the whole spectrum from "none ever" to "lots every day". I like to use Rep-cal twice a week in a very small amount. I use Herptivite once a week in a small amount on one of the days that I didn't use the calcium. Because my torts get sun year round, I do not generally use any calcium with D3 added.

Water: Use a terra cotta plant saucer, or something similar, and bury it so that its flush with the substrate. It will need to be cleaned at least once a day, maybe more.

Sunshine/Outdoor enclosures: Sunshine is necessary. 20-30 minutes twice a week will prevent MBD, but more is better. I like to do an hour or two a day for hatchlings and gradually more as they get bigger. Here is a thread with more info on how to do this safely:
http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Cheap-Easy-Simple-Sunning-Enclosure
Putting them out for some sun will also get them to exercise more which is also very good for them.

Pyramiding prevention: This is all new stuff. You won't see it on an internet care sheet. It is my opinion and the product of 20 years of utter failure and tons of research, observation and trial and error. Lot's of other people helped me to reach these findings, so its not just me. Here is how to grow a smooth, healthy sulcata: Keep them humid, hydrated, warm and spray their shells 3-4 times a day. Yes they are desert animals, but the babies stay hidden in burrows, root balls and leaf litter, where it is HUMID. Babies don't just walk around out in the open in the hot dry air in the wild. They'd get eaten if they did. Once they get to around 6-8" humidity and moisture is much less critical. It is important to get them sunshine, exercise and a good diet too, but hydration, humidity, and moisture is the KEY to preventing pyramiding. Soak them in shallow, warm water at least once a day. I soak them first thing in the morning and again after a sunning session in the hot, dry air here. Sometimes, I'll soak them a third time before lights out. Sulcatas are very resistant to shell rot and fungus. I have never seen a single case of shell rot on a sulcata. As long as they are kept warm (75 or warmer) they will not get respiratory infections either. I have tried to keep one too wet and could not induce any sort of problem. You don't have to go crazy, but do keep them well hydrated. Pyramiding has nothing to do with excess protein or too much food. It has everything to do with MOISTURE, HUMIDITY and HYDRATION.

These things are MY opinion and are based on MY experiences with sulcatas and other torts over the last 20 years. My way is not the only way and other people have also raised smooth sulcatas, but it is very rare and can usually be traced back to high levels of humidity and or hydration. Much of this can also be applied to other species, but as of now, sulcatas are the only one that I have kept THIS wet.

If anyone wants to debate or question any of this please PM me or start a new thread.

The end.
2mfm79i.jpg
This really helped me out thank you!

peepsyp

I hear people talking about lasagna food??? Can someone explain please. Tia

Alex Madden-Beatley

Hi Tom,

I have a couple questions for you!

I just got a hatching Sulcata from a tortoise breeder in Arizona. It seems very healthy- clear eyes, shell is not soft, etc. and I want to make sure it will live a happy, healthy life! I live in Denver and it is really hard to keep the humidity up in my house. I am thinking of investing in a humidifier to help with this problem. Right now, my tortoise (Olive) is in a 3X4 water proof wood open enclosure with cypress mulch. I have been wetting the mulch frequently, soaking the wood log hideout, and soaking Olive twice a day in water to help. When I first got Olive, it was very active and energetic exploring the cage and climbing, now not so much. Is this normal? Olive seems slower and seems to hide out a lot - at least when I am there. I don't think the heat lamp is too hot (the temp is around 80-90 degrees), but I just want to make sure this is normal behavior!

Right now, the food sources I have been using is kale, spring mix, other dark leafy greens, and weeds/dandelions. At first, Olive seemed really hungry and ready to eat everything, now Olive will take a couple bites and then usually goes back into the log to sleep. I just got Olive so I am thinking maybe it is just tired from traveling?

Any feedback would be great! I feel like I am being a worried parent, but I would hate if I would making the environment uncomfortable for Olive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom,

I have a couple questions for you!

I just got a hatching Sulcata from a tortoise breeder in Arizona. It seems very healthy- clear eyes, shell is not soft, etc. and I want to make sure it will live a happy, healthy life! I live in Denver and it is really hard to keep the humidity up in my house. I am thinking of investing in a humidifier to help with this problem. Right now, my tortoise (Olive) is in a 3X4 water proof wood open enclosure with cypress mulch. I have been wetting the mulch frequently, soaking the wood log hideout, and soaking Olive twice a day in water to help. When I first got Olive, it was very active and energetic exploring the cage and climbing, now not so much. Is this normal? Olive seems slower and seems to hide out a lot - at least when I am there. I don't think the heat lamp is too hot (the temp is around 80-90 degrees), but I just want to make sure this is normal behavior!

Right now, the food sources I have been using is kale, spring mix, other dark leafy greens, and weeds/dandelions. At first, Olive seemed really hungry and ready to eat everything, now Olive will take a couple bites and then usually goes back into the log to sleep. I just got Olive so I am thinking maybe it is just tired from traveling?

Any feedback would be great! I feel like I am being a worried parent, but I would hate if I would making the environment uncomfortable for Olive.

Glad you asked. Some breeders in AZ don't soak them enough, keep them outside all day, and they buy from other local breeders who also don't start them right to meet all their demand. If your baby was started too dry, it can do kidney damage that stunts them for a while and frequently kills them months down the road. Record your baby's weight weekly. If he approaches 50 grams and then stalls, this might be the issue. Read these for more explanation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

If your baby was well started and not dehydrated by the breeder, then it might be a temperature issue. 80-90 degrees where? Cool end? Warm end? Under the lamp? What is the overnight low? What are you using for night heat? Read the care sheet again, and then read this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
All of this is explained in these threads.

Using a humidifier is like continually trying to bail out a sinking boat. Instead, plug the leak. Open chambers will never work. Physics won't allow it. You need a closed chamber of one sort or another.

Please feel free to start a thread and ask lots and lots of questions. There are no stupid questions here and you will receive help, not ridicule.

Last edited: