Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abberzoo

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!
I am new here and I have a quick question. I have heard conflicting information on humidity for a sulcata. I have about a 5 month old sulcata and was wondering what everyone's suggestions were on where my humidity should be for my little one. Right now it is at about 50%. And what is the best way to keep the humidity normal? I've just been misting the substrate with a spray bottle. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Also, if soaking him daily, how long should I soak him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Abberzoo:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

At five months, the pyramiding on your sulcata is probably pretty set and will be hard to overcome now. Can we see a picture?

I don't worry about numbers...I just pour a pitcherfull of water over the substrate and mix it up with my hand. I also keep moistened sphagnum moss in a hiding place for them.

Misting usually evaporates too quickly to be of any use.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Like Yvonne, I don't worry too much about the numbers. I just keep a damp substrate, warm temps 24/7, a big shallow water bowl, a covered top, and a humid hide for sleeping and hanging out in. I think the soaks, shell spraying and the humid hide are the biggest factors.

I soak for 10-60 minutes. 10 minutes if I'm in a hurry. 60 minutes on a really hot dry summer day after I've had them out in the sun a lot. I'd say 20-30 minutes should get the job done. I start with 90 degree water and try to keep it warm throughout the soak. If they poop, I dump and replace the water.

Abberzoo

5 Year Member
You can call me Abby!
I don't dreamy signs of pyramiding as of now. Thank you for the advice. I just bought a small bookcase today and set it up for Tuck. He seems to be enjoying it! I live in Sacramento California.
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• image-229725059.png
    image-229725059.png
    306.2 KB · Views: 9
  • image-81160235.png
    image-81160235.png
    346.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image-3176432946.png
    image-3176432946.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 8
Status