Ants?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
So I just built Curtis’s outdoor enclosure(post coming soon!), and being in Texas, we have a lot of ants. Our yard is filled to the brim with fire ants. However, when a buttload of ants came up into his enclosure after I dumped a bunch of water in it and dug around, the ants that came up don’t really look like fire ants and seem like maybe they can’t bite. They’re small and black, and after my hands got covered in them, I can’t find any bites.

Would it be safe to just leave the ants be? I would love to use the boiling water trick, but I’m not sure how to safely transport boiling water lol. Or does someone have another suggestion?

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
So I just built Curtis’s outdoor enclosure(post coming soon!), and being in Texas, we have a lot of ants. Our yard is filled to the brim with fire ants. However, when a buttload of ants came up into his enclosure after I dumped a bunch of water in it and dug around, the ants that came up don’t really look like fire ants and seem like maybe they can’t bite. They’re small and black, and after my hands got covered in them, I can’t find any bites.

Would it be safe to just leave the ants be? I would love to use the boiling water trick, but I’m not sure how to safely transport boiling water lol. Or does someone have another suggestion?

I wouldn’t let the ants in the enclosure I know someone that had a fimbriatus get killed by ants that were infested in their house. I’ve always had luck with the borax/sugar mix

https://www.mashupmom.com/yes-borax-got-rid-of-the-ants/

Put these cotton balls around where the ants are and they will likely be gone within 2-3 days. This has worked wonders for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No. No ant species is safe around our tortoises. I would start killing off all the ants on your whole property so they don't start working their way into the enclosure. They just pop up if you don't.

I use Terro ant baits inside and those work well. You can try them. They work best when its dry outside because the ants want the water.

I use Amdro ant granules to get rid of fire ants and large stinging red ants. I pour a pile right into their hole and they take it all in after an hour or two. Once the bait is gone, the tortoise can have access to the area again.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I’m going to try the cotton ball thing. If I were to put the cotton balls just outside the enclosure, could I let curtis in the enclosure? The ants don’t seem as active now that I’ve stopped messing around with the dirt.

I’ve determined that they’re pyramid ants, which very rarely bite, and only bite if their nest is disturbed. They’re actually classified as beneficial insects because they prey on other pests, particularly fire ants. I know it’s silly, but it kinda feels wrong to kill them, lol. Especially because they sound like they would be beneficial for controlling the fire ants, and are docile and rarely bite. Are you guys sure I should get rid of them? I almost think it would be good to leave them in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m going to try the cotton ball thing. If I were to put the cotton balls just outside the enclosure, could I let curtis in the enclosure? The ants don’t seem as active now that I’ve stopped messing around with the dirt.

I’ve determined that they’re pyramid ants, which very rarely bite, and only bite if their nest is disturbed. They’re actually classified as beneficial insects because they prey on other pests, particularly fire ants. I know it’s silly, but I kinda feel bad about killing them,lol. Especially because they sound like they would be beneficial for controlling the fire ants, and are docile and rarely bite. Are you guys sure I should get rid of them? I almost think it would be good to leave them in.
The first time you walk over and find your tortoise covered with ants that are literally trying to eat him alive, you won't feel so bad about it.

If they prey on fire ants, then leave them elsewhere on the property, but I wouldn't leave them in the actual enclosure.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The first time you walk over and find your tortoise covered with ant that are literally trying to eat him alive, you won't feel so bad about it.

If they prey on fire ants, then leave them elsewhere on the property, but I wouldn't leave them in the actual enclosure.

Ok, sounds good!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ok, so after leaving the paper towels(didn’t have cotton balls)soaked in the borax solution out for a while, it looks like I only have a few pyramid ants, and mostly small black ants. That makes me feel a little better about it, lol

TanksALot

South Carolina

COmtnLady

Colorado
Someone told me to put a shovel full of ants & dirt from one nest onto the different nest and it causes a war between the two. I haven't tried that though because my ants were coming into the house and I couldn't find their nests.

(So I dumped a long skinny pile of crushed up cedar shavings/sawdust outside my door against the foundation and across the other spots they seemed to be getting in at, and suddenly there were no ants).

There's a thing called Cedarcide, that is basically cedar oil, and its safe around kids and furry critters, but I don't know about reptiles. I've wiped it on my skin to keep away mosquitos and things that get on you while you hike, and to keep away mites, and fleas. It worked great. But again, not sure what it would do to a tortoise. It kills wasps about 2 seconds after you spray it on them.