Ants.....

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
It's still cold here so my redfoot lives indoors. It's April and the little black ants have invaded my house. They seem to be attracted to the moisture I the enclosure. I am resorting to keeping it drier. I'm going to keep his water dish in the enclosure for just a few hours a day. I also sprinkled cinnamon around the outside of the enclosure as I heard that deters ants. Do I need to worry about this? They were swarming all around his water dish and under the rocks by his water dish.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Food grade diatomaceous earth is best for controlling the ants.

They'll actually benefit from you drying things out if my experience in the garden is anything to go by.

They won't harm your torts unless you have particularly nasty ants in your part of the world. They're just a nuisance

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member

They'll actually benefit from you drying things out if my experience in the garden is anything to go by.

They won't harm your torts unless you have particularly nasty ants in your part of the world. They're just a nuisance
But if it gets wet , it don't work at all ! So I use one of those to go containers that that they put ketchup in : I put a spoonful in the container and pease of cat food in it as bait ! And punch a hole in the top so the ants can get in to feed on the cat food ! And the in side stays dry .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have ants inside my indoor habitat too. I sprayed raid all around the outside of the tank and on the table it sits on, being careful about overspray.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio

I thought that too. But upon research it says they come on our homes for both a food source and a water source and are attracted to standing puddles.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've never tried cinnamon, but you can try using an essential oil (peppermint is prob most popular) mixed in water as a barrier around the outside of the enclosure.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Or use it around your house wherever they may be entering, along baseboards and such.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think my house sits on a giant black ant hotel. In the spring they come up through the baseboards, around the water pipes, etc.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I think my house sits on a giant black ant hotel. In the spring they come up through the baseboards, around the water pipes, etc.
Me too. I have a brick patio off the back. There are ant hills under the bricks and I get lots in the house from April unail mid to late summer.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They are also attracted to voltage in areas like wall outlets. (So says my exterminator.)
I spray all around the outside of my pens and I would do the same inside the house.
I had some success with D.E. but it rains so often here.....

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Boric acid. You can pick it up at most pharmacies and grocery stores. Boil a cup of water, add 8 teaspoons sugar & 1 teaspoon of boric acid. Let it cool and spoon some into a jar lid in an area your tortoise, kids, and other pets will not access it. Don't kill any ants, let them bring the boric acid into the colony.

Save the rest in a jar. Label it well as toxic ant bait.