How often can I feed apples?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Hi guys,
I recently tried feeding Ginger an apple after I discovered it wouldn't kill her. Now she loves them!!!! She chases me to get the apple, she climbs up on my lap when I'm eating an apple, and she'll bite onto it so hard that I can't get it away from her. I love to spoil her, but I don't want to hurt her. So, how often can I feed her small amounts of apples? She's a Russian, btw. Thanks!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Apples are fruit and thus contain sugar

Russians cannot digest sugars properly - it causes digestive and kidney problems- so fruit, bell peppers, tomato and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally. Banana is too sugary and must not be fed at all.

Joe will eat windfall apples if he finds them. I try to make sure he can't

A tiny bit once a month maybe? She doesn't need it

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Apples are fruit and thus contain sugar

Russians cannot digest sugars properly - it causes digestive and kidney problems- so fruit, bell peppers, tomato and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally. Banana is too sugary and must not be fed at all.

Joe will eat windfall apples if he finds them. I try to make sure he can't

A tiny bit once a month maybe? She doesn't need it
Does this not apply on all torts, or some are "allowed" to eat carrots, tomatoes and bananas?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It applies to all the testudo (Russians, Greeks, Hermann's, etc) to Sulcatas and to Leopards.

Red and yellow foots can eat fruit, but I don't specifically know about apple for them.

I won't comment on other species because I don't know enough about them.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It applies to all the testudo (Russians, Greeks, Hermann's, etc) to Sulcatas and to Leopards.

Red and yellow foots can eat fruit, but I don't specifically know about apple for them.

I won't comment on other species because I don't know enough about them.
Thanks the info anyway.

Appreciate your help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't feed apple at all. If its so bad that you can only feed small amounts once in a great while, then why feed it at all?

My dogs LOVE ice cream, but its not really good for them, so I don't feed it to them. I feed them things that are good for them.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Okay, thank you guys! I didn't know it was that bad, very good to know! I think this will be an extra special treat on rare occasions... like her birthday.