Not eating?

Tanner Fry

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan, United States
I got a female Russian tortoise on the 29th of September and she has not eaten upon her arrival to my house. I have layer out organic lettuce, apple slices,one dandelion flower, and the pellets soaked in water that the store fed them. Should I be concerned that she has not eaten and if so what should I do and what should I feed her? I am picking up some baby carrots from the store tomorrow. She has a 40 gallon tank with elevation and a sizeable water bowl deep enough for her to soak herself. She also has a food bowl with fresh apples and moist but not wet pellets. And the ground is dirt deep enough to burrow and get all over the place ( she likes to put as much dirt as possible into her water bowl) and the temperature is 90 degrees Fahrenheit and there is a log with a heat pad underneath the dirt under the log. The cool side is about 73 degrees Fahrenheit and the warm side is 90. I'm new to this Russian tortoise thing so I am getting concerned about her not eating. Any suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A lot of Russians ware slowing down right now. Then with yours being in a new home and the normal fall slowing, I wouldn't worry right now and give her time to settle in. She needs a better diet and no apples. Give her a nice warm soak daily until she does get comfortable and check out the caresheets for Russians. There should also be a diet/food thread for them under the Russian section.

Tanner Fry

Michigan, United States
A lot of Russians ware slowing down right now. Then with yours being in a new home and the normal fall slowing, I wouldn't worry right now and give her time to settle in. She needs a better diet and no apples. Give her a nice warm soak daily until she does get comfortable and check out the caresheets for Russians. There should also be a diet/food thread for them under the Russian section.
Ok will do thanks for the advice

King

Silverdale, Wa
I have mine since July 2018. She had been eating well but all of a sudden, she slowed down and became inactive for about two months now. It’s May 2019. She looks pretty normal other than she barely eats. I soak her once or twice a week and after each soak, that’s the only time that she would eat. Please advice, thanks!

bonnieyuhagen

Tacoma,WA
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and hoping to get some advice. Our russian tortoise recently will not eat and started burrowing and opening his beak and restless! He was taken to the vet and was told he's lacking vitamins so they gave him a shot. Was wondering what else we can do and if his enclosure can be set up better. RIght now, theres 2 heating lamps and a UV light, his shell hardly ever feels warm enough. We fed him collard greens, romaine lettuce and kale and he used to have a hardy appetite, worry about his health. What can we do to help him?