How much ReptiCalcium?

Susannadior

Location (City and/or State)
California
Murphy, my 4 month old DT, is a powerhouse when it comes to eating. He eats 2-3 times a day and eats almost whatever I put in front of him (he has not grown partial to cactus, yet). I've been sprinkling a dash of ReptiCalcium on his greens once a week, but not sure if it's too much or too little. I've tried to comprehend the directions on the back, but he eats a portion of what they say.

Any help would be appreciated!DSC03442.JPG

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Murphy, my 4 month old DT, is a powerhouse when it comes to eating. He eats 2-3 times a day and eats almost whatever I put in front of him (he has not grown partial to cactus, yet). I've been sprinkling a dash of ReptiCalcium on his greens once a week, but not sure if it's too much or too little. I've tried to comprehend the directions on the back, but he eats a portion of what they say.

Any help would be appreciated!View attachment 261416
I would like to know, what do you do for hydration. The tort in this pic looks a bit dehydrated. Now, before you get offended or upset (of which both I hope you do not :) ) I only ask because this is the time of year the tort would be brumating...so if not, then what is your current set up to offer warmth and hydration... :)

Mm13

Arizona
How are you able to tell if it is dehydrated via a picture? I’m interested in knowing so that I could identify if my tortoise requires more water.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Any help would be appreciated!View attachment 261416

A very tiny pinch of calcium powder sprinkled on food very sparsely 2-3 days a week is plenty. No more as you can overdo it.

Daily soaks of at least 20 minutes are essential at this size.

Susannadior

California
I would like to know, what do you do for hydration. The tort in this pic looks a bit dehydrated. Now, before you get offended or upset (of which both I hope you do not :) ) I only ask because this is the time of year the tort would be brumating...so if not, then what is your current set up to offer warmth and hydration... :)
No offense at all! He soaks AT LEAST 20 minutes every day. I hand bathe then let him sit in a terracotta saucer. He loves the water. He probably looks dry because we did this photoshoot with his tank lid off and spent a good 45 minutes taking pictures lol. Also, I am not brumating him this year. I got him early December and he had not been brumating at all so I am keeping him awake and eating. Still doesnt answer my calcium question, though lol.

Susannadior

California
A very tiny pinch of calcium powder sprinkled on food very sparsely 2-3 days a week is plenty. No more as you can overdo it.

Daily soaks of at least 20 minutes are essential at this size.
He soaks every day for at least that. He loves the water so it's nice. And thank you so much for the calcium advice. He grazes outside when I get home from work so I'm not too concerned hes not getting enough, but I want to make sure for my own piece of mind.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How are you able to tell if it is dehydrated via a picture? I’m interested in knowing so that I could identify if my tortoise requires more water.
His eyes are ever so slightly squinty. For one tiny tortoise like yours, I would just take a tiny pinch of calcium between index finger and thumb and sprinkle it over the moist greens, then mix them up so the calcium is wet and invisible. If you use too much they tend to not eat. Soak him daily.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, I just realized the 'how do you know' question was written by someone other than the original poster.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
His eyes are ever so slightly squinty. For one tiny tortoise like yours, I would just take a tiny pinch of calcium between index finger and thumb and sprinkle it over the moist greens, then mix them up so the calcium is wet and invisible. If you use too much they tend to not eat. Soak him daily.

Hmmm...perhaps I am a tad dehydrated too Yvonne....Once when I was 16, my Mother and I were driving on the 10 Fwy West out of Los Angeles and she looked at me and says, "hm, you have your Fathers Mothers beady little eyes"...to which I say (as a 16 year old girl mind you) "gee, thanks Mom?" and she quickly tried to imply it was a compliment....LOL....squinty=beady...same diffs right??? To this day anytime she mentions my eyes I dutifully remind her of that event.... :)-

I digress....apparently still working through the beady little eyes comment....lol

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No offense at all! He soaks AT LEAST 20 minutes every day. I hand bathe then let him sit in a terracotta saucer. He loves the water. He probably looks dry because we did this photoshoot with his tank lid off and spent a good 45 minutes taking pictures lol. Also, I am not brumating him this year. I got him early December and he had not been brumating at all so I am keeping him awake and eating. Still doesnt answer my calcium question, though lol.

You are correct about my comment not helping you at all in the question....lol....I personally do not like the powders....JUST MY ISSUE....I am one that would try to offer up high calcium foods a few times a week and be sure your UVA/UVB are tip top....and I would also commend you on not brumating with this newly acquired tortoise....a full year is a good "rule of thumb" to refrain from brumating a newly acquired tortoise....the full year is a good time to get to know one another...you know, time for the tort to train us humans as to what makes them happy....

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Just FYI- my torts usually did not eat anything I sprinkled calcium on, so I figured out that if I toss the food so the calcium is not visible, they usually ate it OK. I suspect that calcium powder looks like mildew or smells bad to them or something.

Cndlou0309

Pasadena CA
Hmmm...perhaps I am a tad dehydrated too Yvonne....Once when I was 16, my Mother and I were driving on the 10 Fwy West out of Los Angeles and she looked at me and says, "hm, you have your Fathers Mothers beady little eyes"...to which I say (as a 16 year old girl mind you) "gee, thanks Mom?" and she quickly tried to imply it was a compliment....LOL....squinty=beady...same diffs right??? To this day anytime she mentions my eyes I dutifully remind her of that event.... :)-

I digress....apparently still working through the beady little eyes comment....lol

Lol! That was a great story!!