1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

How much ReptiCalcium?

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by Susannadior, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Susannadior

Susannadior New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    California
    Murphy, my 4 month old DT, is a powerhouse when it comes to eating. He eats 2-3 times a day and eats almost whatever I put in front of him (he has not grown partial to cactus, yet). I've been sprinkling a dash of ReptiCalcium on his greens once a week, but not sure if it's too much or too little. I've tried to comprehend the directions on the back, but he eats a portion of what they say.

Any help would be appreciated! DSC03442.JPG
  2. ascott

ascott Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Apple Valley, California
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I would like to know, what do you do for hydration. The tort in this pic looks a bit dehydrated. Now, before you get offended or upset (of which both I hope you do not :) ) I only ask because this is the time of year the tort would be brumating...so if not, then what is your current set up to offer warmth and hydration... :)
  3. Mm13

Mm13 New Member

Arizona
    How are you able to tell if it is dehydrated via a picture? I’m interested in knowing so that I could identify if my tortoise requires more water.
  4. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Kent, South East England
    A very tiny pinch of calcium powder sprinkled on food very sparsely 2-3 days a week is plenty. No more as you can overdo it.

Daily soaks of at least 20 minutes are essential at this size.
    Susannadior likes this.
  5. Susannadior

Susannadior New Member

California
    No offense at all! He soaks AT LEAST 20 minutes every day. I hand bathe then let him sit in a terracotta saucer. He loves the water. He probably looks dry because we did this photoshoot with his tank lid off and spent a good 45 minutes taking pictures lol. Also, I am not brumating him this year. I got him early December and he had not been brumating at all so I am keeping him awake and eating. Still doesnt answer my calcium question, though lol.
    JoesMum likes this.
  6. Susannadior

Susannadior New Member

California
    He soaks every day for at least that. He loves the water so it's nice. And thank you so much for the calcium advice. He grazes outside when I get home from work so I'm not too concerned hes not getting enough, but I want to make sure for my own piece of mind.
    JoesMum likes this.
  7. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    His eyes are ever so slightly squinty. For one tiny tortoise like yours, I would just take a tiny pinch of calcium between index finger and thumb and sprinkle it over the moist greens, then mix them up so the calcium is wet and invisible. If you use too much they tend to not eat. Soak him daily.
    ascott likes this.
  8. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    Sorry, I just realized the 'how do you know' question was written by someone other than the original poster.
  9. ascott

Apple Valley, California
    Hmmm...perhaps I am a tad dehydrated too Yvonne....Once when I was 16, my Mother and I were driving on the 10 Fwy West out of Los Angeles and she looked at me and says, "hm, you have your Fathers Mothers beady little eyes"...to which I say (as a 16 year old girl mind you) "gee, thanks Mom?" and she quickly tried to imply it was a compliment....LOL....squinty=beady...same diffs right??? To this day anytime she mentions my eyes I dutifully remind her of that event.... :)-

I digress....apparently still working through the beady little eyes comment....lol
    Blackdog1714 and KarenSoCal like this.
  10. ascott

Apple Valley, California
    You are correct about my comment not helping you at all in the question....lol....I personally do not like the powders....JUST MY ISSUE....I am one that would try to offer up high calcium foods a few times a week and be sure your UVA/UVB are tip top....and I would also commend you on not brumating with this newly acquired tortoise....a full year is a good "rule of thumb" to refrain from brumating a newly acquired tortoise....the full year is a good time to get to know one another...you know, time for the tort to train us humans as to what makes them happy....
    Cheryl Hills and KarenSoCal like this.
  11. Madkins007

Madkins007 Well-Known Member Moderator 10 Year Member!

Nebraska
    Just FYI- my torts usually did not eat anything I sprinkled calcium on, so I figured out that if I toss the food so the calcium is not visible, they usually ate it OK. I suspect that calcium powder looks like mildew or smells bad to them or something.
    ascott and Will like this.