How much to feed my CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariebaby21

5 Year Member
Hi. My CDT is 10 years old, 10" and LOVES to eat. I'm really not sure what the ratio should be between his daily salads and him grazing. I put a generous amount of greens out for him each morning and he devours them. He'd eat more if I fed more. Can anyone tell me about what amounts he should be getting?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Do you brumate your tort? If yes, then let him eat as much as he possibly can consume--both food offerings along with free grazing....:D

If you force the tort to remain awake during winter (overwinter for that season) then I would do your food offerings that match the entire size of your tort shell...and then let him free graze as much as he likes as this is not going to weight him down....actually, free grazing during the good weather months should be his primary food source and this would leave the winter months as the ones he eats supplemental foods...

mariebaby21

5 Year Member
Yes, I will brumate him during the winter months. I normally give him daily, like you suggested, an amount that matches his shell size. And when he is finished, he keeps looking for more salad. But I don't feed him more because I want him to graze as well. I usually just feed him once in the morning, and let him graze the rest of the day. Should I change it and feed him twice a day?

ascott said:
Do you brumate your tort? If yes, then let him eat as much as he possibly can consume--both food offerings along with free grazing....:D

If you force the tort to remain awake during winter (overwinter for that season) then I would do your food offerings that match the entire size of your tort shell...and then let him free graze as much as he likes as this is not going to weight him down....actually, free grazing during the good weather months should be his primary food source and this would leave the winter months as the ones he eats supplemental foods...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have found that the CDTs here will opt for natural grazing items and then go for the supplemental food offerings...if your tort eats the food offerings and then likes to graze then keep doing what you are doing...if you are offering supplemental foods and then he does not enjoy grazing...I would play a little with him----some days offer as much supplemental food offerings as his little piggie butt can handle and then let a couple days go by for him to graze....if he fails to graze then I would evaluate what the items are available for grazing...do you have native plants for him to select from or is there entirely turf?

mariebaby21

5 Year Member
He has lots of weeds and grass, mostly weeds to choose from. I've seen him grazing a bit but not the same way he indulges himself on the supplemental food offerings. I'll do what you suggest and see what happens. Thank you

ascott said:
I have found that the CDTs here will opt for natural grazing items and then go for the supplemental food offerings...if your tort eats the food offerings and then likes to graze then keep doing what you are doing...if you are offering supplemental foods and then he does not enjoy grazing...I would play a little with him----some days offer as much supplemental food offerings as his little piggie butt can handle and then let a couple days go by for him to graze....if he fails to graze then I would evaluate what the items are available for grazing...do you have native plants for him to select from or is there entirely turf?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You know, this is kinda a weird subject to give an exact answer on, ....the men folk here brumate, so to me I do the daily offerings at least once a day---and sometimes on the weekends when I am actually home for their early am outings and then again for their evening outings---I will give them more offerings--they don't ever refuse grazing though--so I don't restrict one over the other---and yes, they will usually, well--ALWAYS:)P), glum down the food offerings, who wouldn't right---

Also, since I do support them brumating; from the moment they come out of brumation by whole focus for the entire tortoise season is planning for them to brumate again at the end of their season, so I want them plump (not fat) juicy (well hydrated) and also satisfied (so during the middle of season I will also offer them a few yummies, watermelon, cantaloup, squash, just a few examples--but of course not all and when they do get them it is at the height of summer when their water intake is highest)--so food offerings are pretty free flowing along with any grazing they do---I also will offer them foods that are high in water content (romaine, red and green leaf lettuces--as part of their offerings each and every time ---) because I want them to clear themselves so they are completely urinating clear and no urates....none. So, that was why I asked about brumating or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.