How much food should i give my rf?

ballergrapher

5 Year Member
Hi! I recently got a hatchling redfoot.. I think he is around 3 months old, Im wondering how much food should i give him? Whenever I give him food, I think he stops/ turn away from his food if he is full, but i noticed him trying to eat rocks.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
I am wondering the same thing. I recently put rocks in my new enclosures. Just caught the Star sampling the rocks. So I put his cuttle bone in front of him, in case he was looking for calcium. He wasn't. I wonder if other minerals are lacking?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Torts love to eat small rocks , paper , bark, and even plastic and it's very bad for the torts cause it will block up the in sides
So if they can put it in their mouth remove it now

ballergrapher

5 Year Member
Oh thats why.. Good thing the rock i placed in the enclosure is big.. Maybe my rf is just trying to know his enclosure.. Because i also saw him trying to eat his pot hide and also the gauge.. Haha!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Not knowing what you are offering him to eat.... most likely he IS lacking something in his diet.

Other than for decor.. what is the purpose of the rock? [ it's taking up space he could use otherwise. ]

ballergrapher

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
Not knowing what you are offering him to eat.... most likely he IS lacking something in his diet.

Other than for decor.. what is the purpose of the rock? [ it's taking up space he could use otherwise. ]

I give him, jute mallows as a bulk of his diet. It is high in fiber and calcium. I also give him river spinach, apple, pumkin, hibiscus flower and leaves. It has been exactly a week from the day i got my hatchling rf.

Its just for decor and also where i place my gauge.. I think the enclosure is quite big for a hatchling.