How much are UVB bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
You can get them on ebay for under $50 shipped! That's for the Zoo Med Powersun 100 W.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I bought the Zoo Med power sun 100 watt MVB, it was $79.99 at petco or $43.00ish on eBay! Go eBay! It was $59.99 at "Doctors Foster & Smith". If or when you get it really watch your temps, I am having a little trouble with it as it gets HOT, and warms up the enclosure super fast. Hope that helps! :) Mary Anne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I pay about $55-60 including shipping online for 100 Watt T-Rex Active UV Heat or Mega Ray (reptiveuv.com is the only place that sells Mega Ray I think). Those are the two best brands in my opinion. Next would be Powersun. I think anything else is pure junk. I've never seen those first two at pet stores or shows. With a MVB you need a good thermometer like a temp gun, and to pay attention to what the box says as far as distance (typically 12-18 inches for a 100 Watt--any closer and its both too hot and too much UVB--and any further and the UVB isn't useful). Never use a dimmer with these, and you need a ceramic socket bulb and a lamp stand so you can adjust the height (ideally check temps daily and adjust accordingly), with the bulb face parallel to the substrate). Although the warranty on T-Rex and Mega Ray is 6 months from when you buy it, due to shipping time and how often they are out of stock, I do keep an extra on hand although that essentially voids the warranty. Write on your calendar to replace at 12 months. Even earlier is every better--my tort really perks up with a new bulb. These really decay fast as far as UVB.

Make sure you aren't buying the T-Rex UV Heat instead of the Active UV Heat, as although it costs less, it has less UVB output. Yeah, Amazon does have a really good deal on the Powersuns.

Status
Not open for further replies.