Handle too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
Is there I chance I could spend a little too much time with my russian tortoise? I just love him so much. I always soak him when I wake up & I turn his lights on & throughout the day I watch him & make sure he's settling in okay.. Later on I feed him, not really at a specific time. Then before I go to sleep I turn his lights off. Now, I'm sure that's normal.

But is there a limit to how much I hold him? I don't want to smother him or anything.. I've been kinda holding back on spending too much time with him.. I don't wanna love him so much it's ends up hurting him ya know?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In my opinion, as long as its not for hours on end. Let him be a tort. Pick him up when ever you want for 5-10 minutes then let him be a tort again. That's my opinion. You will get both sides, some that say not to and some that say too. Do what you feel right for you and your tort.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, some torts don't seem to be bothered by being with us humans while others simply just don't....if your tort runs and tucks in when you go to pick him up---and always does this, perhaps you may want to limit your hands on time....now, there are some torts that come running when the humans approach, they extend their necks the climb onto and over the humans feet and truly don't seem to mind the hands on some....

So, you will have to be the judge based on the raw behavior of the tort as to if handling is aok or not with that individual tort...:D

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
Will he get more & more used to me? Right now he's a little shy. Like he kinda tucks into his shell, but after I pick him up he's comes out & he's active & friendly.. Is that normal?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you just reach in and pick him up or do you let him see you/your hand coming and adjust a bit? Food is a great aid in letting him know you/your hand comes in peace...lol....remember to move at a torts speed and not super human speed...and always approach him so that he sees you coming....

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
Oh my gosh I didn't think of that :( I'd just kind of reach in & grab him without thinking it could scare him :/

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
torilovestorts said:
Will he get more & more used to me? Right now he's a little shy. Like he kinda tucks into his shell, but after I pick him up he's comes out & he's active & friendly.. Is that normal?

Tortadise reassured me that even if I didn't spend a lot of time handling them in the beginning, it wouldn't necessarily mean that they'll disregard me or not be friendly later.. let's say a few months or years down the road. Remember, you'll be with your guy for many, many years. In that amount of time, they'll recognize you being the center of their universe; you feed them, clean up after them, fill their water, flip them over when they're in trouble, etc. Give it time and handle them as much as you want depending on what he feels comfortable with. Remember, the tort's feelings of security are more important in the beginning. Just my opinion and I hope this helps.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
To me, there is a difference between spending time with them and handling them. It makes a difference as to how your tortoise responds and I think the age, too. I don't think you can spend too much time with them. I do however think for some tortoises there is such a thing as too much handling. It's all dependent on if they take it as a stress and then how they handle that stress.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It would be a good idea to put the light on a timer. Let him warm up & wake up before you arrive. Early morning solitude is something many of them enjoy. Then he'll be ready to eat and you can be the great provider.

Also, soaking causes food to travel through the gut quickly, so two or three soaks a week is enough. Give him time to benefit from the nutrients.

Tortoises are endlessly fascinating. It really is good to spend time every day observing them. But handling.... Well, I suggest you handle when it is for your animal's benefit.

You sound like a really hands on person who loves your tortoise. You have the next 40 years or more together, so let him get used to you slowly.

wildchild6771

5 Year Member
I'd like to think my torts know and trust me. Sure, they get startled once in a while but who wouldn't when someone is suddenly approaching? My oldest follows me around while my 2 year old likes to snuggle under my hair when I'm laying down on a cool night. I love it because she does it every time as though she looks for me. At the same time it's super weird when I think ,"uhh am I really snuggling with my tort???" Haha.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I've started clicker training my Hermann's torts; still loading the clicker, at this point. My goal is to target train them to climb onto my hand, on cue. (Just realised that I seriously need to get out more! :D)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I've been clicking to Mo, and he's interested. Will even turn around and look, but then goes about his business.

I might be handling him too much....can't help myself, he's too stinkin' cute! I keep him in a warm/humid (80/80) enclosure at night, and outside all day which he loves. So I try to limit handling to when I need to relocate or soaking. He doesn't withdraw anymore, just hangs there and looks around.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
SenjiSandy said:
I've been clicking to Mo, and he's interested. Will even turn around and look, but then goes about his business.

Do you pair the click with a treat?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
No, because he won't take anything from me. Still figuring out what foods he likes. The clucking mostly is getting him used to my sounds. I cluck to our cockatoo at work, he loves it!! Means someone is paying attention to him. ;-)

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
Mine started letting me hand feed him. :)
& I never would've thought that he would start running on schedule almost. He does the same stuff everyday at the same time almost!
Once his lights are on, he goes out of his house & goes under the lamps & lays there a bit, then he does his rounds.
& he goes to bed at a certain time too. & doesn't really wake up until morning the same time everyday. It's quite adorable.:) should I start feeding him at a specific time?

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
I bet he'd love that. Tortoises love routine. Once he figures out what time mealtime is, he'll be waiting at the dish. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.