UVB tube light for tortoise?

Joseph Flores

Location (City and/or State)
MERCEDES, TX
I was thinking of getting a UVB tube light from zoomed for my baby tortoise. Does anyone else use them and how are they? Also, is there a cheaper alternative than buying the over priced zoomed hood lamps that hold the tubes? I have seen that they are very good and can give off UVB at a greater distance than bulbs.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The UVB fluorescent type tubes are the only type of UVB that is recommended here. Any screw in UVB bulb has problems and we strongly suggest not using them.

I've never used the ZooMed ones, but there are members that do.

Some of us like the Arcadia brand, like this...it's what I use.

Yes, it is worth buying the hood that is designed to go with the bulb you're using. The very shiny reflective surface is one reason. Plus, the shape of the reflector will be optimized for the bulb. Finally, the ballast has to match the bulb to get the most UVB output from it.

At least the fixture only has to be bought once! :)

Joseph Flores

MERCEDES, TX
The UVB fluorescent type tubes are the only type of UVB that is recommended here. Any screw in UVB bulb has problems and we strongly suggest not using them.

I've never used the ZooMed ones, but there are members that do.

Some of us like the Arcadia brand, like this...it's what I use.

Yes, it is worth buying the hood that is designed to go with the bulb you're using. The very shiny reflective surface is one reason. Plus, the shape of the reflector will be optimized for the bulb. Finally, the ballast has to match the bulb to get the most UVB output from it.

At least the fixture only has to be bought once! :)
True I don’t like the screw in one, it makes the enclosure look iffy and literally only one spot of the enclosure gets the uvb light. I want the ENTIRE or most of the enclosure to get the UVB light. Yes he will still have a lot of hiding spots but do the one you use of that brand last? And are they good?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You really don't need indoor UV where you are. If you can get your tortoise outside in a safe enclosure once or twice a week for an hour, you can skip the UV. Mazuri and calcium supplements with D3, will also help carry them through the cold winter spells when they can't be sunned for a few weeks at a time.

Why do I want to skip the indoor UV? Its expensive, you don't need it, and they contribute to pyramiding.

Joseph Flores

MERCEDES, TX
You really don't need indoor UV where you are. If you can get your tortoise outside in a safe enclosure once or twice a week for an hour, you can skip the UV. Mazuri and calcium supplements with D3, will also help carry them through the cold winter spells when they can't be sunned for a few weeks at a time.

Why do I want to skip the indoor UV? Its expensive, you don't need it, and they contribute to pyramiding.
True. I rather instead buy those zoomed tortoise houses and put it on wells and have the outside half sticking out towards the sun and it already has a built in hide so that’s a plus. I do give him the occasional calcium D3 supplement twice a week.