How many MVBs?

Turtlegal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chandler, Arizona
Hello, I have recently switched to using MVBs instead of fluorescent tubes and I can not find anything on the area that the uv light is effective up to. I have two baby desert tortoises in a tortoise table that measures ~40"x32"x8". Currently I have the 125W MVB positioned at one end 16" up, creating the ideal temperature gradient for these tortoises. However, I am always concerned they are not getting enough uv light. My questions are... Is this enough light or should I get a second light and place it on the other end of the table and if so, should it be another MVB raised slightly higher for cooler temps or should I get a fluorescent bulb. I wanted to try something other than fluorescent because I am tired of buying new bulbs every 3-6 months and the MVB are more space and cost effective in the long run. Easier to control temperatures too in my opinion when paired with an adjustable light stand.

Thank you all for your advice, much appreciated.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
The only way to really know how much UV your tortoise is getting is to use a UV meter. I have the solar meter 6.5 UV index meter, I was really surprised how little UV my fluorescent tubes put out. I have not measured MV bees with it however, I had already taken the plunge into the fluorescent tubes. I think two MVB's would be too much for that enclosure. if you put the food dish relatively close to the light you know they will be under it at least for a while every day :)