How many hours outside a week to replace UVB?

Astrochelys

I tried searching this, but came up with some vague and differing answers so I figured I'd ask here.

In the future I'll be getting a Greek tortoise and was planning to take it out outside when the weather is nice. However, since I'll be living in an apartment, it won't have an outdoor enclosure. I was thinking about taking it out from 30 min to an hour every day when the weather is nice and possibly longer during the weekends. If this is done during the Summer/Spring/Fall when the weather is nice and warm, I was wondering if it would remove the need for UVB light during the Spring/Summer/Fall seasons and I would only use it during the winter time? Or would I still need a UVB light in addition to taking it outside for those periods of times?

Thanks!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
In the summer, Tidgy gets all the uvb she needs from daily outings in the sun.
She is a Greek tortoise and they don't spend much time out in the blazing sun, but seek shade or burrows for most of the day.
The amount of sunlight hours you are suggesting should be fine for her uvb requirements and the bulb will not therefore be needed unless you have long periods when your tort is unable to get out.
But do make sure the indoor temperatures are adequate for when she's not outside.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. But I am definitely anxious to hear what people have to say. I have also searched here to try to find this answer and you're right, I haven't found any specifics.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
There is no definitive answer, and I try to be careful when comparing UVB bulbs to the sun. I don't think you can make a direct comparison.

That said, I think it's a good idea to provide UVB indoors anytime the animal will be inside for an extended period, or inside more than out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with jaizei here. The answers you've found are vague and differing because no one knows the exact answers. There is a lot that we don't understand about our tortoises and how they use UV. An overwhelming amount of anecdotal evidence tells me that a half hour of access to mid day sun two or three times a week is enough to prevent MBD. I prefer to offer hatchlings and hour a day at least 4 or five days a week. I leave bigger ones out longer and longer until I eventually leave them out all day in favorable weather. I've raised hundreds of hatchlings this way with no indoor UV for many years. Still, offering indoor UV won't harm anything and its cheap insurance too. Just don't use the coil type cfl UV bulbs. A large number of those are dangerous and burn tortoise eyes. Use a long tube type florescent or a mercury vapor bulb, if you are going to provide indoor UV.

I think your plan will work to prevent MBD and meet your tortoises UV needs with no indoor UV, but I don't see how you can safely accomplish this without an enclosure. The grounds around any apartment complex or park are very likely to be treated with toxic chemicals of one sort or another, plus letting a tortoise run around outside while not contained in an enclosure in an enclosure is a recipe for disaster. Who knows what has been dropped or what is hiding just out of your sight. Cigarette butts, gum, wrappers, nails or screws, etc... Got a balcony? South facing window?

Astrochelys

Thanks for the responses everyone! I thought it was the UVB ones are more expensive than the heating ones? And on the topic of the heating bulbs, how many would you need for a lets say 6 x 3 enclosure?

And great question! I'm not in the apartment yet, still have to look around for one this year, but I was thinking if it comes to a balcony, I'd get a little kiddie pool or a smaller bookshelf to put out there for it. Would it just be as good if I opened up one of the windows and let the sunlight shine through to the tortoise?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!