Natural sunlight or UVB fixture?

Wasa77

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Hello

I have a 5mo old Egyptian hatchling currently kept in an open table enclosure. Currently using UVB light and a heat lamp (obviously). I give her a soak outside everyday when then the sun is out, and let her run around for about 30 minutes as well. If I’m doing this already, is it still necessary for me to utilize the uvb light? I live in California if that’s important - it’s always sunny where I live even during the winter.

Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello

I have a 5mo old Egyptian hatchling currently kept in an open table enclosure. Currently using UVB light and a heat lamp (obviously). I give her a soak outside everyday when then the sun is out, and let her run around for about 30 minutes as well. If I’m doing this already, is it still necessary for me to utilize the uvb light? I live in California if that’s important - it’s always sunny where I live even during the winter.

Thanks
No
Sunlight is actually the best UVB.
And it's all you need

Reactions: Tom

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I live in Connecticut and even though I love 4 distinct seasons, there is a part of me that is jealous of those who can have their torts outside year round!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Connecticut and even though I love 4 distinct seasons, there is a part of me that is jealous of those who can have their torts outside year round!
We are still free to move about the country. You don't have to stay in the frozen north.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello

Thanks
I agree with ZP. You do not need indoor UV. And with winter coming, you might have to skip a few weeks now and then when we get our cold rainy spells. This is no problem. Use a calcium supplement with D3 and feed some Mazuri occasionally, and you'll have no trouble all winter long.

SJTort

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello

Thanks
I would definitely still give her UVB lights. I have a Greek tortoise in So Cal and the vet was clear that natural sunlight is best as long as it’s warm enough for them to be out. He also said that Frank needs at least 12 hours of uvb every day.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
We are still free to move about the country. You don't have to stay in the frozen north.
Mr. Tom, if I were to move away from my family, it would be to the Galápagos Islands to be near my favorite tortoise population...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would definitely still give her UVB lights. I have a Greek tortoise in So Cal and the vet was clear that natural sunlight is best as long as it’s warm enough for them to be out. He also said that Frank needs at least 12 hours of uvb every day.
As usual, your vet is wrong and way off base. They don't get 12 hours of UV a day when they live outside! Learn something right now: Most vets know little or nothing about tortoise care. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school.

A half hour twice a week will more than meet the UV needs of any tortoise. And it does no harm to skip a few weeks now and then over winter.

SJTort

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As usual, your vet is wrong and way off base. They don't get 12 hours of UV a day when they live outside! Learn something right now: Most vets know little or nothing about tortoise care. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school.

A half hour twice a week will more than meet the UV needs of any tortoise. And it does no harm to skip a few weeks now and then over winter.
Woah!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Exposure to natural sunlight available or not, it's still a good to have UV exposure indoors too. It helps to maintain a tortoises natural routine. Their every function is determined by temperatures and light duration & intensity. In order to promote and maintain that active routine they need 14-15 hours of intense light on a regular basis. An indoor UV source along with a basking light to produce heat for activity and digestion, should be on daily. This is especially critical for tortoises that do not have the opportunity of being outdoors on a regular basis.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Same here in NY
I've been keeping, breeding and raising tortoises and turtles for over 35 years in the Catskills Mountains of New York State and have brumated Northern Testudo species, specifically Eastern Hermann's, Ibera Greeks and Russian tortoises, along with some turtle species outdoors for most of that time. So you can keep tortoises outdoors in the Northeast year round. You just aren't going to see some of them for 6 months!