How is my enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well I don't have a digital camera to take pictures, but I figured I'd describe my RT enclosure as best as possible because I want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

I have a wooden tunnel on the cool side, and some large stacked rocks on the warm side(safely). The substrate is eco earth with aspen on the top(makes it easier to spot poop). I have a ceramic plate that you would put under a flower pot as their water dish. the enclosure is about 6 1/2 ft long 2 feet wide. I have a heat lamp on for 12 hrs a day on the warm side and a UVB tube in the middle(one thing I wasn't sure about is how close should the UVB be to the ground?). I feed them random organic greens I get from the grocery store with TNT twice a week(I have a list that I got off a site of safe RT greens) I'm also trying to grow plants from the broadleaf mix from carolina pet supply, but I've been having some trouble with it. I give them a bath about once a week and clean up their enclosure daily. I also have cuttlebones which they never seem to touch.

thanks

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
Sure sounds like you have it right. I'm not sure about the lighting, so I'll let someone else answer that one. The rest sounds like a very nice habitat. :)

Don't worry about the cuttlebones, some like them, some don't. Mine won't touch them at all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The UVB fixture usually comes with instructions, but since you don't know, the USUAL distance from the floor of the habitat is 12". Don't put it any closer than that. I really like those home made rectangular tort tables. They give the tortoise plenty of room to roam. I would put a hiding place on both the cool side and the warm side so the tortoise can choose. Maybe your stacked rocks are used for hiding? In that case, forget my hiding place comment. Folks usually mix the coconut coir with either clean sand or soil. That way it holds its shape better and you can add a bit of moisture to it. Don't worry...you will be able to clean up the poop if you don't keep the aspen bedding. I really think its a personal choice. Many Mediterranean tortoise-keepers prefer to use aspen bedding. You have to do what is good for your situation. Have you placed a thermometer on the floor of the habitat to check the temperature around the habitat?

Yvonne

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah it read about 90 degrees on the warm side. With how the rocks are set up there is somewhat of a ledge that they always crawl under.... they seem to like that spot the best.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'd be careful mixing the aspen and coconut coir together, as one is very dry and the other moist. Shavings in general don't tend to do well when kept moist, but I don't have personal experience with it (mold, sogginess). Also don't know what the ratio is...sounds more like you have a layer on top. I'd either pick one or the other, or have two separate areas instead of mixing them.

My tort loves his warm hide as well. For him its a hay pile because the hides tend to scare him off, or not be as warm or something.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I ought to be changing the substrate soon anyway, what would you guys suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.