Lighting in a Multi-Level Enclosure Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penny525

5 Year Member
For an indoor enclosure, I have limited space. So, I thought I might create a 2 level enclosure for a Russian Tortoise. However, instead of having double the basking areas, could I have one floor have the heat/UVA/UVB light, and one regular lighting where the water and food would be? Thanks! I am trying to plan everything out before I get an RT. :)

Penny525

5 Year Member
I'm not sure how clear I was in that last post after I reread it and it's too late to edit. So basically, one floor would have the basking spot and uv, and the other floor would just have regular lighting. Is this okay? And if it is okay, does it matter which floors I keep food and water and a hide on?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Some people use double floored enclosures. I have some reservations about doing it myself.

Can you build something that will be sturdy enough to hold two levels with substrate, etc.?
How will you situate the lights safely to prevent temps from getting too high and melting of materials/starting a fire?
Will the tortoise have reason to go up and down between the levels? Will food, water and basking spot all be on one level or will it be spread out between the two?
Will the tortoise be able to go up and down without slipping, sliding back down or falling off the side of the ramp? Will the slope be gradual enough/have enough traction?
Will the tortoise be kept warm enough on the cooler level to have the energy to go up or down the ramp?

Penny525

5 Year Member
You're right, these re all things I will have to consider... If the cooler level was around 65-70 degrees would that be warm enough? And I thought it would be easier to situate the lights if the bottom level was a little taller so there would be more space if that makes sense. I was thinking I'd put the water on the bottom level (the cooler one) and the food on the top level... Also, I looked at some of the other two level enclosures by searching the forum and looked at what they did for their ramps so I have a few ideas for that. I also know to make sure the ramp is "fall proof." Any other things I need to know?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Because the UVB bulbs we use are not as good as the sun. I would use a MVB on the top level, UVB and heat. Then mount a UVB fluorescent light for the bottom level, no heat but will give more uv and light. Then you could add a Che on the bottom level if you needed more heat. I would put food and water on the bottom level, but i think i would also try to have water on the top hotter level also. Otherwise I think it sounds great. I am planning on building a two level to house my leopard for next winter. Don't forget to post pic.

Penny525

5 Year Member
Sounds good! Thanks so much for the advice! I want to make sure my RT is perfectly comfortable.

Penny525

5 Year Member
All right then I guess I could get a che. What would be a good temp do you think?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If both torts have access to both levels, then part of the lower level could be around 65 to 70, or the 'cool side'. Then make part of the lower level a bit warmer, perhaps 80, using a basking bulb or CHE on one side. I like Barb's idea of a UV strip light below to keep it brighter.
Your MVB can be on the top level so you can have the basking area of 95F.
RT's don't need heat at night unless the room is <60 where their table is.
Have the lights come on around 6am or so with a timer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with all of the above. There are a lot of possible variables involved. If you find successful solutions for each of the things Peter suggested, I think you will have a great enclosure. I like Lynne and Barbs suggestions too.

Status
Not open for further replies.