How I unpyramid my aldabra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
When I bought my first aldabra in middle of September 2011, it was full of pyramids, then I gave it high protein Mazuri and Poland Tropical tortoise food (protein: 15-30%), and gave it high humidity environment (humidity: 70-85%), now 9 months later, all its new rings are very smooth, and old pyramids are starting to sink-in, reverse pyramiding?

090610ibrhnh996ijii4tt.jpg

0906097jb1o5jpz75nupot.jpg

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
How I unpyramid my tortoise

When I bought my first aldabra in middle of September 2011, it was full of pyramids, then I gave it high protein Mazuri and Poland Tropical tortoise food (protein: 15-30%), and gave it high humidity environment (humidity: 70-85%), now 9 months later, all its new rings are very smooth, and old pyramids are starting to sink-in, reverse pyramiding?

090610ibrhnh996ijii4tt.jpg

0906097jb1o5jpz75nupot.jpg

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
RE: How I unpyramid my tortoise

Pyramiding is not reversible unfortunately but because all his new growth is nice and smooth it makes his old pyramiding seem smaller and smaller. In a couple of years you wont notice anything because of how big he will be.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member

Eweezyfosheezy said:
Pyramiding is not reversible unfortunately but because all his new growth is nice and smooth it makes his old pyramiding seem smaller and smaller. In a couple of years you wont notice anything because of how big he will be.

I see. But if you look at the old pyramids, you will notice there are some grooves, and old pyramids are sinking in.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

It's just how it looks as he grows... as Eweezyfosheezy says, it's not reversible, it just appears to diminish as healthy growth surrounds it. If it's really sunken, you need to make sure the shell is not soft... a sign of MBD.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

Its hard to see in the pics but like I said in the earlier post the more it grows the pyramiding will become less and less pronounced as it was before. I have seen a bunch of pyramided juvenile sulcatas that looked pretty bad but when they are around 20 inches they are relatively smooth. Your aldabra looks fantastic by the way. Great job!!!

Rustyiron

5 Year Member

JoesMum said:
It's just how it looks as he grows... as Eweezyfosheezy says, it's not reversible, it just appears to diminish as healthy growth surrounds it. If it's really sunken, you need to make sure the shell is not soft... a sign of MBD.

I see, thank you ^^

Eweezyfosheezy said:
Its hard to see in the pics but like I said in the earlier post the more it grows the pyramiding will become less and less pronounced as it was before. I have seen a bunch of pyramided juvenile sulcatas that looked pretty bad but when they are around 20 inches they are relatively smooth. Your aldabra looks fantastic by the way. Great job!!!

Oh I see, thank you.

And thank you for your encouragement.

Can you please suggest any other means to make it more smooth? High humidity? High protein food? More exercises and more Sun? or any other? Thanks ^_^

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Feed a nice variety of food and keep doing what you are already doing. Keeping the new growth growing smooth will make him look smoother as he grows. ALDABRAMAN feeds orchard and alfalfa hay, along with Mazuri and lots of natural grazing. Treats of watermelon, red peppers, cantaloupe, and romaine. You might want to email him and ask what else he feeds and how much he feeds the stuff they do eat. Looks like your doing a good job, he looks pretty good.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member

wellington said:
Feed a nice variety of food and keep doing what you are already doing. Keeping the new growth growing smooth will make him look smoother as he grows. ALDABRAMAN feeds orchard and alfalfa hay, along with Mazuri and lots of natural grazing. Treats of watermelon, red peppers, cantaloupe, and romaine. You might want to email him and ask what else he feeds and how much he feeds the stuff they do eat. Looks like your doing a good job, he looks pretty good.

OK, thanks a lot ;)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You've done a beautiful job, he looks great. What is the white color on his head? It looks like a helmet.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
:tort: Natural as possible diet, plenty of room for exercise, and natural sunshine!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A trick I learned from the redfoot keepers is to spray the shell 3-4 times a day with plain water. This technique works really well on sulcatas. I also make a humid hide for them to hang out and sleep in.

DAV46

5 Year Member
You mention protein a couple times. i too have an aldabra and other than a little mazuri maybe once or twice a week I feed mainly collards, Kayle and sometimes mustard greens. He also has all the southern bermuda grass he can handle. I dont give straight protein in the form of meat or anything. I also have redfoots who love chicken parts or other meat as a treat and offered to my aldabra just to see and he plowed right over it to get to the veggies so even he didnt have any interset in it. I would be careful with the amount of protein your giving if it is much at all.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
DAV46 said:
You mention protein a couple times. i too have an aldabra and other than a little mazuri maybe once or twice a week I feed mainly collards, Kayle and sometimes mustard greens. He also has all the southern bermuda grass he can handle. I dont give straight protein in the form of meat or anything. I also have redfoots who love chicken parts or other meat as a treat and offered to my aldabra just to see and he plowed right over it to get to the veggies so even he didnt have any interset in it. I would be careful with the amount of protein your giving if it is much at all.

Just thought I would let you know kale and collard greens and other members of that species ( they are the same species just different varieties) are high in oxalic acid which is a calcium and magnesium binder.

DAV46

5 Year Member
Yeah I have read that before but I also read they are highest in calcium content. So i would like opinions on feeding these greens from others who have had good or bad experiences in using these in their tortoise diets. I have been feeding mostly this to my Aldabra for 4 years with no negative affects and solid steady growth. I have not supplemented with calcium either. Keep in mind he is outside at least 7 months of the year feeding on grass with the other greens 3 times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.