Mazuri & Scales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
- My Aldabra baby loves Mazuri very very much, can I feed him Mazuri daily? People in my country told me it will cause pyramiding if I feed him daily. Is that true? (I kept humidity high around 70-80%, and soak daily, good UVB lamps and sunlight from time to time.)

- My Aldabra has bumps -a little pyramids, will Aldabra change its scales on the shell like they change skins? I saw many big adult Aldabras all are with big large flat scales, must have been changed with age?

thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sebastion:

Can you buy Mazuri there in Hong Kong? I'm surprised at that.

Don't worry about pyramiding in your Aldabran tortoise. Just make sure he's well hydrated and kept in a humid environment. Its the lack of humidity that causes the bumps, not the food.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Sebastion:

Can you buy Mazuri there in Hong Kong? I'm surprised at that.

Don't worry about pyramiding in your Aldabran tortoise. Just make sure he's well hydrated and kept in a humid environment. Its the lack of humidity that causes the bumps, not the food.

Mazuri was very very expensive in Hong Kong, US$16 per 1 Lb, then someone imported big size (Zoo-size) from USA, and then repackaged and sold for US$8 per 1Lb.

Oh, thank you Yvonne!! I am so relieved, because the old mentality that high Protein is the cause of Pyramiding is still here in Hong Kong, OK, I'll keep it humid and hydrated.

Does Aldabras change scales over times? thanks :)

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
RE: Mazuri & Scales

Can buy Mazuri (USA) & Komodo (UK) in Hong Kong but both expensive here. I paid HK$168 for 1LB (around US$21.5), can't find it cheaper anywhere. My red foot loves it, but I only feed it to her 3 x a week.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
RE: Mazuri & Scales

My tortoises all love Mazuri instead of veggies or grasses...

CIMG3584.jpg

CIMG3585.jpg

oh, also Watermelon...:D:D

CIMG3583.jpg

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Hi, Your aldabra looks good. Tortoises do not shed their scutes (scales i think are what you called them). Instead as they grow each scute gets outlined by a little bit of new growth. look closley at your tortoises shell and each scute is outlined. and as he gets bigger it will continue on that way.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
SulcataSquirt said:
Hi, Your aldabra looks good. Tortoises do not shed their scutes (scales i think are what you called them). Instead as they grow each scute gets outlined by a little bit of new growth. look closley at your tortoises shell and each scute is outlined. and as he gets bigger it will continue on that way.

Really? but he has bumps.

I see, thank you!!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Rustyiron said:
SulcataSquirt said:

Really? but he has bumps.

I see, thank you!!

Bumps are raised scutes. They're not pyramiding, just scutes which start growing in an upwards fashion by stacking layers on top of each other. A theory for it happening is the bumps create density to prevent moisture loss, an adaptation for drier conditions. Just keep him in high humidity (70% or so) and you're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.