How giant tortoise catch bird

Fredkas

5 Year Member
So i just heard that tortoises, in this example is galapagos tortoise catch a bird for eat.
How can a slow galapagos tortoise catch a bird?
He stand high and not moving at all, when all the birds came to him, he just make a right moment when one of the birds came right under his plastron and he dropped his body. Gotcha! After that, he went backward and get his meal.

So what make me curious is aldabra, radiata, and several other tortoises, when given scratch will stand up high not moving, are they waiting for our hand to go under his plastron?
Maybe someone explained it a while ago but i haven't heard it. I imagine one get stuck under aldabra or galapagos. That will be terrible.
Anyone have similar experience to share with? Or maybe try with your galapagos or aldabra? That will be awesome. But using other tools. Not you hand :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've heard that before. the tortoise stands tall and when a bird goes under him to get into the shade, he pulls his legs in quickly and smashes the bird.

Taco*mom

Just the irony. When they are hatchlings they might got eaten by the birds. When the hatchlings become adults they might eat the birds.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
@ALDABRAMAN have you ever try to rub your aldabra plastron? will you try it, not using your hand of course. i am super curious whether they will just sit down directly.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Shelly has caught and eaten 2 pigeons already. I just keep telling her not to eat me if I fall down in the yard