How Does My Setup Look?

Amen_brother_ben

Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, South Carolina
I’m new to tortoises but not new to pets!

This is Paul, he’s a 4 months old sulcata but I’ve only had him 2 days.
AFAD9ED2-D2B7-4ED1-AD80-02CA6F687538.jpeg916BFB43-7E2B-4DAD-B28B-E5A4608B88B0.jpeg
5D2FF425-9C08-47FA-AC69-629F5649FF87.jpeg

Lighting: The bulb is UVA, I turn it off at night and on in the morning.

Food: I feed him moistened pellets and romane lettuce, although, he hasn’t eaten any pellets yet.

Water: I make sure his water dish is always full and then splash water on the substrate.

Hide: it’s a basic hide but with little water bowls for extra humidity.

What do y’all think?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Well, Paul is a sweetheart, but I see many things that need to be changed, starting with his enclosure size. It needs to be much larger.

Also, while he is a baby, he needs to be in a closed top enclosure. It is impossible to maintain the humidity with an open top. And splashing water on the substrate won't do the job either.

Your UV light (hopefully UVB, not A) is completely ineffective, as UV does not pass through glass or screens.

He needs a heat source day and night to keep the temp in his enclosure 80 deg all the time, plus a basking spot of 95 deg.

He needs a varied diet of weeds and grasses. The pellets are good, but romaine lettuce has almost no nutritional value. Do you soak the pellets until they are soft and mushy? Your baby can't eat the hard pellets.

I'm going to give you a bunch of links. Please, read all of it very carefully, make changes, and come back with any questions. The info in the links will explain the observations I made about your setup.

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Please look into proper care and husbandry for a sulcate immediately
There are many things you need to know and change in the coming months
Most importantly, start saving lots of $$$$ to upgrade your enclosure especially if you plan on your sulcata being outside
Caresheets and beginner sheets here are a great place to start

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have your hiding place positioned effectively cordoning off the remaining floor space of the enclosure. He needs to be able to walk a lot in order to keep his digestive system healthy. Also, the carpeting on the other side isn't suitable. I position the hiding place up against a wall in a corner, giving the rest of the enclosure space over to walking. I like to use clay plant saucers that are sunk down into the substrate for water. Since babies are hard bodied animals and don't bend in the middle, when they have to go into a dish with straight sides they sometimes get overbalanced trying to get out and sometimes end up on their back in the water. Then I use a piece of broken cement for feeding, or a tile.

I have recently learned that the incandescent type, or Mercury Vapor type heating, UVB bulbs are desiccating to babies, so I've changed over to using a tube type fluorescent UVB bulb and a LED type for brightness. For heat I use a radiant heat panel. The RHP is on all the time, day and night, and operates off a thermostat.

I know this is a lot to digest, but there are many her on the Forum who have "been there, done that" and you'd do well to gain the benefit of our collective experience.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This is a brand new set up with no substrate, etc. yet. You can see the bright LED light on the left front ceiling, the tube type fluorescent UVB bulb and in the next picture, the radiant heat panel on the ceiling on the right.

Vision cage 1.jpg

Vision cage 2.jpg

And in this last picture a set up that's been in use a couple years with fluorescent instead of LED:

Vision cage with CDT.jpg

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
The hide does not have to be that big. Something half the size would work fine. His enclosure also looks very dry... The whole thing should have 80% humidity (well his future home, as others have said that's too small)