How do you socialize a new Russian wild caught tortoise ?

Mr Buster

Location (City and/or State)
Reno NV
How do you get them past the stage of fear and shock and used to people ? Unfortunately, my so called quality time with Buster has been his morning soak which seems to scare him. So then I want to leave him alone in peace. I read once where animal trainers will have animals sleep with actor's underwear to get used to the scent. Are there any tricks or is this just something that has to take time based on the character of the tortoise ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises can be very slow to get used to new situations.

The best way is establish a routine so they learn what to expect and when. Treat them gently, leave their feet on the ground as much as possible and leave them alone if they don't want your company.

Once your tort has learned you're safe and the bringer of yummy food then it will be braver with you.

But it takes time. You have to be patient. You are probably talking months. There is no hurrying a tortoise.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I suggest time and patience as the best way. some take longer than others but once he warms up to you you'll wish for the old scared tortoise once in awhile :)

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I would say good hides , good light , natural substrate , natural environmental conditions , natural plants , time and normal handling ...... soak him under leaves or plants , try to stress him as little as possible and in time he will become acclimated to handling and you ...... works for me .......