PetSmart's torts wild-caught?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
OK
You learn something new all the time
Apologies
Part of the fun of this international forum is learning expressions and cultural ideas from elsewhere.
I learn a lot about America here for example, all good stuff. Like what a PetSmart is.
Apologies not necessary.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is not okay to remove turtles from the wild.

I strongly disagree. I think its wrong to remove too many, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with harvesting sustainable numbers, just like any other animal. Everyone on this forum is in love with tortoises because of interaction with some wild caught tortoise somewhere, or its direct offspring. This love affair with Chelonia would never have started without ambassadors of each of these species personally stealing our hearts. People protect what they love. They love what they see. Removing tortoises from the wild has created thousands, if not millions, of fans who now work to protect the species and educate people.

Your view of captive care is very bleak. So sad for you. The things you describe certainly exist, but the VAST majority of captive chelonians don't have it nearly as bad as what you describe. What you did there was like citing a few cases of child neglect or abuse, and then painting ALL parents with that same dirty brush, while neglecting to notice or mention the millions of parents who get it right every day. Sorry. My observation of captive turtles and torts have been far more positive than negative. Sure there are rare cases of neglect or ignorance, but most of the situations that I see on a day to day basis are pretty good.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Lets refrain from turning this into a debate. Start another thread if you so Desire .thank you.