How do yall feed your tortoises?

Joseph Flores

Location (City and/or State)
MERCEDES, TX
okay so do you guys feed your baby tortoise(s) one thing in one feeding? Like lets say hibisucs leaves, do you give it a pile of that to eat for the whole day or do you guys mix grass, leaves, weeds, greens, etc in their food in one serving? I see youtubers just throw in a lot of dandelions or collard greens in their baby tortoise enclosure and it leaves me wondering like is that all you feed them in one day? And feed them other different things the exact same way?

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I tend to feed one kind of thing a day and lots of different things over time it’s important to keep a varied diet but not important that it’s varied every day

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I mix in different stuff everyday only because i think its more appealing for them lol. Probably my imagination and like they said, variety is key so as long as they still get that, you should be fine.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Check out this thread...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd feed a single baby on a single plate with several choices on it.
For more than one baby, use more than one plate.
It helps them to relax if they don't feel the need to protect the food.
It's also 100% normal for a baby to pick and choose a few select items and eat them only. So chopping/mixing may be required initially.
Most healthy tortoises eventually get over it and eat whatever is offered.

ComeNT8kIt

Houston/Tx
okay so do you guys feed your baby tortoise(s) one thing in one feeding? Like lets say hibisucs leaves, do you give it a pile of that to eat for the whole day or do you guys mix grass, leaves, weeds, greens, etc in their food in one serving? I see youtubers just throw in a lot of dandelions or collard greens in their baby tortoise enclosure and it leaves me wondering like is that all you feed them in one day? And feed them other different things the exact same way?

With mine I’ll give him a small amount of Mazuri then I’ll get him some hibiscus leaves and varied other greens on top. He tends to devour the leaves and eat the mazuri last. Unless he gets a hibiscus bloom, which is usually bigger than him, then it’s all bets off he won’t touch anything else. I’ll mix up the greens and throw in some veggies but he always gets a variety every day

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of the above. There are many ways to do it. I use your above two scenarios, but also many variations on the two themes.