How can you tell if your tortoise is happy/not bored

bsstovel

Location (City and/or State)
Tustin, CA
Hi All,

I've been wondering this for a while and wanted to know if there are signs on a happy or unhappy tortoise. I'm not concerned about my little guy, but wanted to know what signs to look out for.

Thanks!

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
I don't think they get bored. Tortoises in the wild are just out to survive, not to live fulfilling lives full of excitement. To the contrary, excitement in the wild = possible death. "Boredom" means things are going along quietly, without predators trying to kill you. Hatchlings, many adults, and definitely a sub-species of redfoot living in the Chaco, spend much of their time in burrows, staying hydrated and out of trouble.

So a safe tortoise is a happy tortoise. Don't change up the environment all the time (none of that letting them wander around the house, getting cold and confused and trying to get back to their known territory). Give them large and appropriate indoor and outdoor enclosures, enough food, and the right temperatures and light exposure. That will make them happy. :) Excitement they do not need.

bsstovel

Tustin, CA
I don't think they get bored. Tortoises in the wild are just out to survive, not to live fulfilling lives full of excitement. To the contrary, excitement in the wild = possible death. "Boredom" means things are going along quietly, without predators trying to kill you. Hatchlings, many adults, and definitely a sub-species of redfoot living in the Chaco, spend much of their time in burrows, staying hydrated and out of trouble.

So a safe tortoise is a happy tortoise. Don't change up the environment all the time (none of that letting them wander around the house, getting cold and confused and trying to get back to their known territory). Give them large and appropriate indoor and outdoor enclosures, enough food, and the right temperatures and light exposure. That will make them happy. :) Excitement they do not need.
Haha just basic little buddies with basic needs. I love it. I just love the little guy and I guess I'm trying too hard to anthropomorphize him.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
My is happy eating and sleeping! I get the stink eye when I drop off the food as if my Leopard is saying LEAVE so I may eat in peace!