How can you tell the Age of a Tortoise?

Vinnie_the_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Is it true that you can tell how old a tortoise is by the amount of "rings" on its shell. My friend and I were debating how old my new russian tortoise is and she thought you could be able to tell that way. I was just wondering if that was true or not.

Also if that is not true could anyone identify how old my RT is? (I will attach some photos) He is about 4.5 inches long and 2.75 inches wide. If you need more information in order to tell how old it is let me know and I can try to tell you.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
yes, the rings can offer some help as to how old your tortoise is, but thats nowhere near accurate..since they can grow 1-7 rings per year. theres no way to know how old your tortoise is without knowing the hatch date. their growth can be stunted quite easily, or they can grow way faster than the normal rate.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's really kinda not true. There are so many variables that unless you know the hatch date, there really is no way. Maybe in wild tortoises it would be more accurate as they would be growing properly in their own homeland. In captivity there is just to many things that can make it not accurate at all.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you purchased him from a Petco or petsmart, he is likely wild caught and approx. 4-6 years.

Vinnie_the_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Yeah, I did sounds good. He seems to be fine with me picking him up, and touching him (etc.) is that normal for wild caught tortoises? Also when do they typically reach their full size? I've heard between 5-15 years, so obviously I've heard a lot of things, but I was wondering if you could clarify that.
Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Vinnie_the_Tortoise said:
Yeah, I did sounds good. He seems to be fine with me picking him up, and touching him (etc.) is that normal for wild caught tortoises? Also when do they typically reach their full size? I've heard between 5-15 years, so obviously I've heard a lot of things, but I was wondering if you could clarify that.
Thanks!

Tortoises, like most reptiles, have whats called indeterminate growth, meaning they can just keep growing their whole lives. At least within the limits of genetics.

Just like determining age, there is really no way to tell when they are "full" size. Many variables determine growth rate.