How big should my enclosure be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgabel

5 Year Member
I have two sulcata tortoises and I am wanting to create an outdoor enclosure for them. I live in a condo so the "backyard" is essentially a piece of concrete slab. Right now I have them in a doggie pool that I got from PetSmart but I know they need something bigger, just not sure how big. If anyone can help me out I would be grateful! I don't have the ability to create something from scratch, I don't have the tools to do so. Something converted would be better. I have heard of people using bookcases?

the tortoises are (1) about 6" wide and (2) about 4" wide.

M

Maggie Cummings

your area needs to be as big as possible. Are you going to be able to bring in some top soil and plant some grass? What I personally would do is go to Lowe's or home Depot and buy some cinder blocks. Get as many as you can even if it means buying a few from every pay check. They are around $1.50 each. Then simply create as big an area as you can with the cinder blocks. I did exactly that for my Bob, he's bigger then yours and he was when I built his pen but I will attach a picture so you can see what I mean. Then you can buy some bags of topsoil; right now at HD they are $2.39 so you can buy a few bags then spread it around and when you can, buy some grass seed and there you go! You'll need to create something to make shade so they don't get too hot and make a hide for them and I'm sure you know how to set them up. But that's my idea for instant enclosures...
You wouldn't need to make it 2 high for your smaller guys but I just wanted to show you what I am talking about. Then as they get bigger you can make it bigger just by buying more blocks...unless you move of course then you simply take the blocks with you...

w2lox2.jpg

to make one from a book case you lay it on it's back and take out the shelves and staple in a shower curtain liner so that protects against leaks, then you put in your substrate. Just be sure no matter what you make to provide shade for them...

chairman

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
I am temporarily keeping my 4.5" sulcata in an 8' x 8' outdoor pen and my tortoise wishes it were bigger. I'm thinking that you might want to put down 4-6 couple inches of substrate on the slab and give them the run of the whole thing. Putting up a "wall" to hold in the substrate will only require a hammer and nails or screws and a drill, as whatever home improvement store you choose to buy wood at will probably cut your wood to length for free.

or you could do the block thing... silly internet keeping me from noticing Maggie's post...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
If your backyard is adequately fenced...give them free range

chadk

10 Year Member!
They will grow up fast. Sadly, so fast that in a few years your tiny backyard will not support 2 sullies. Not even 1 sullie really. And concrete is a terrible substrate for them.

For now you could build someting as noted above and add deep substrate and maybe some plants for shade. But it won't be long until they outgrow it.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Unh! I didn't catch that 'slab' part...you're sullies are definitely going to outgrow you...FAST!

lgabel

5 Year Member
We are renting for the time being and hope to be in a house not before long. That is why I want to have something for them outside to enjoy. I feel bad that they are inside all day....

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
how big are they now? and how temp?
I have two large males in a aprox 60-100 feet area. they need thier space, cruise the entire area and come in at night.
so that is something to plan for. I would love to house more, we have the room, but its $$ to build and heat.
The kiddie pool is ok for now.. put it where you want it, ( you wont be able to move it once its full of dirt) put some holes in the bottom if it get rain water or the torts will drown, put a few inches of dirt in, plant grass if you can, put some hides, your heat source, protect them from perdators.. Dogs, cats, birds etc.. and start looking for property!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They need that whole patio now. I'd line it with blocks, like Maggie suggested, and lay down some substrate of some sort and let 'em have the whole thing. I hope you are moving soon. Your situation isn't going to last very long.

Good luck and best wishes.

M

Maggie Cummings

emysemys said:
The picture Maggie put up for you was appx. 4 years ago when she first moved up to Oregon. You can see Bob's size at that time. As he grew, he kept pushing the blocks over, until now Maggie has given him the whole yard. That's just four short years (maybe five)

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-15026-post-134631.html#pid134631

Actually it's 4 years and a month. When I moved here Bob was 30 pounds, 4 years later he's 80+ pounds. They grow fast...

lgabel

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies! I am not able to cover the entire patio with substrate. I've been thinking that I can either (A) buy a couple of bookcases and put them together so they can have a larger enclosure (approx. 6'-7' by 6'-7') than they do currently or (B) let them roam loose on the concrete but still have an enclosure that they can get to via an opening in the bookcase or maybe leaving an end off the bookcase. I have actually tried B before and they didn't seem too keen on going back into the enclosure for some reason. They would just keep wandering around and then find themselves a corner to sleep in.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I would go with B, because they need access to substrate, but cover the entire patio area where the enclosure isn't with livestock stall mats. Concrete just isn't kind to tortoises, and the rubber flooring will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.