How big should they be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Scoundrel

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have 2 sulcatas that are 11 1/2 months old. They dont seem to be growing really at all, they seem to be almost the same as when they hatched. They arent much bigger than a golfball. They measure about 3 inches long. Is there a reason they have not grown or are they at a normal size? These are my only two so I dont have anything to compare them too. I tried searching for answers but there are none out there.

Thanks
Dave

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
How do you have them setup? Lights? Temps? What are you feeding them? Any supplements? How often are they fed and how much?

Dave Scoundrel

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
They have a large area to live in with a heat lamp and hay and leaves when they are indoors and then in the day time when weather permits they are outside in a kiddie pool that I converted into a pen for them. They eat mainly grass and mullberry leaves. They also eat whatever weeds have grown in the lawn. They get their calcium from a Zoo Med Turtle Bone. Do some sulcatas take a little while to grow?

On a unrelated note: What shape is there shell supposed to be? A friend has an older sulcata and its shell is more comparable to a rectanglular shape then a circle. Is that normal?

demjor19

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortoises should be more of a rounded shape. the rectangular one you are refering to is probably pyramiding. this is a result of too much protien, not enough calcium/UVB exposure, and some even say not enough humidity.

does your tortoise have access to UV light when it is inside? it is recommended that they have 8-12 hours of UV exposure on a daily basis.

also...how do your tortoises shells feel? are they soft and plyable, or are they pretty firm? at this point they should have a pretty solid shell. how is their apetite as well?

Dave Scoundrel

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My tortoises are still round. Their shells are nice and hard. My tortoises have an amazing appetite.

The rectangular one belongs to my friend that lives up the road. His is more of a rectangle. If I can I will get a photo of it. That one has a rather hard shell at all. It weighs quite a bit but it just seems a bit different then other Sulcatas I have seen. I am thinking the problem is that he kept it totally confined to a tank for the first 4 or 5 years. It also isnt as big as other ones I have seen.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Can you post pics of your little ones? Maybe with something for size comparison?

Dave Scoundrel

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
DavePics016.jpg

<br>
<p>
DavePics015.jpg

<p>
<p>
<p>

On the right is a ball thats just a bit bigger than a golfball. On the left is a regular soda pop cap.

S

sbwooldridge

Dave Scoundrel said:
I have 2 sulcatas that are 11 1/2 months old. They dont seem to be growing really at all, they seem to be almost the same as when they hatched. They arent much bigger than a golfball. They measure about 3 inches long. Is there a reason they have not grown or are they at a normal size? These are my only two so I dont have anything to compare them too. I tried searching for answers but there are none out there.

Thanks
Dave

sounds like they should be a bit bigger, u need to make sure u have the right uva uvb lighting.....

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Hi Dave,

I would think that they should be a little bigger, but like everything else, tortoises grow at their own pace. Slow and steady growth is always best. No need to rush things. One of them looks a little lumpy on the carapace but over all there is no pyramiding started so thats good. The one just likes like he has a dip in his shell on one side?

Are you providing a UVB light source? Are you only feeding grass and mulberry leaves or are you providing a varied diet? They really need a bit of a varied diet of weeds and grasses if they arent allowed to graze. You should be taking Timothy or Orchard hay and chopping it up to mix in at each feeding so they are getting plenty of fiber.

Have you been to http://africantortoise.com/? If not there is a great general care sheet as well as an edible plants and edible landscaping page there.

Edible plants- http://africantortoise.com/edible_plants.htm

Do you notice that one is more dominant? Maybe eating more than the other? Some torts will bully other torts and sort of cower them down and although your not seeing it, its there mentally.

Please measure each one and start keeping a record of their lengths and weights. If you dont know how to measure properly here is a link to a good page that shows you how. http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/measuring.htm You should measure them at least very 2 weeks so you can tell if they are growing or not.

Hope this helps, somehow your post was buried and I missed that you had replied with pics.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Dave, I don't know what to tell you other than what everyone previously stated. I do think they should be larger. Mine are 3 yrs old and are 8, 10, 12 inches approx. Although each varies in size, they have been growing noticeably. Slow growth is best to avoid shell problems. So, just make sure they are receiving a good diet and proper lighting!

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
Don't Sulcatas get really big? Like the type you can see in zoo's?

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yes they do get big. Males grow up to 30" and reach weights of over 120 pounds. Females reach 20 to 24" and weigh from 65 to 75 pounds.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Some you see in Zoos are Galapagos tortoises (largest) or Aldabras (2nd largest) these get really big, but Sulcatas are considered the 3rd largest, I believe.

robins775

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Dave Scoundrel said:

Thanks
Dave

robins775

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Dave Scoundrel said:
my 1 year old is 5.5 oz and 3.5 scl

Thanks
Dave

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dave Scoundrel said:
So is this a dead thread now or what??

I was looking for some help.

Dave: They still look like brand new hatchlings to me. I think they should have changed quite a bit in a year and a half, and started to look more like sulcatas.

Take a look at the sites that Anja referred you to and make sure you are giving them the right kinds of foods. Also, they need to be kept warm and hydrated. At that size, and in an indoor habitat under lights, they are essentially on "slow-cook." Even if you keep your substrate slightly moist, they dry out quickly under the lights, so you need to soak them AT LEAST every other day, but daily would not be too often. For at least 15 minutes each time.

Yvonne

TheSimpsons

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
They must all grow at different rates. I have two Sulcatas, one is 9 months old and 4 1/2 inches, the other is about 5 months old and 2 3/4 inches. The little one doesn't seem to be growing as fast as the oldest did, but they are both eating.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
As was said, they grow at different rates. My friend & I each got a hatchling the same day from the same clutch. Hers stayed tiny for ever. She worked with me at the vet hospital. The vet & I teased her cause at 9 months mine was nearly twice the size of hers. Then I didn't see hers for about 6 months. By then it had nearly caught up with mine. Don't worry as long as you are feeding properly, dusting with calcium, & have the proper heat & UVB light. I don't think you said if you have a UVB. If so what brand & number is it? Is it a fluorescent tube? Are you checking temps with a temp gun or digital with a wire with a probe on the end? You can get the digital one with the probe that also reads humidity at Walmart for $12.
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.