How are all your torts so clean?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Seems like the beautiful torts I see in pix on here are always squeaky clean. My two CDTs are usually covered in dirt from digging or grass or veggies from pigging out (and sitting on their food, a favorite pastime). Are you guys always taking pix right after a soak or are your torts just the Felix to my Oscars?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I'll usually rinse them off before taking pictures. I find that the ones I keep on cypress mulch stay much cleaner than the ones on topsoil or dirt. :)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
some folks on here like myself have misting spray bottles and spray them down before the pic.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
My girl is always dusty from being in her topsoil. Though all that takes is a nice shower and she's good. I haven't had a problem with a food stained beak yet. She isn't very messy.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Don't fill bad my torts are always dirty.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Usually soaked/sprayed before pics.
However, my leopard always looks great..he doesn't dig, burrow or ever seem to get dirty. I'm lucky with him. :)

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Ah well. My guys are clean for roughly two minutes after a soak or a spritz. Then they seem to find a way to get into something. I thought messiness was tort nature, but I guess there are actually Felix torts.

KatWoman

5 Year Member
Phoenix
My desert tort always has a nice coating of loose dirt on top of her shell - my husband had built her a nice cave but she decided to build one of her own in the side of a mound in our landscaping :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Like Team Gomberg, my leopard is never dirty. He even only goes poop in his soaks. If I am gone for a couple days, he will poop in his water dish, however has only done that twice. So even easy to clean up after his potty breaks:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoises that live outdoor full time are almost always covered with a layer of dirt. I usually soak them and clean them up before picture time though. My sulcatas usually have mud all over them. Either dry or wet. I make puddles for them on hot days, and they do the sulcata mud flicking thing.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Tom said:
My tortoises that live outdoor full time are almost always covered with a layer of dirt. I usually soak them and clean them up before picture time though. My sulcatas usually have mud all over them. Either dry or wet. I make puddles for them on hot days, and they do the sulcata mud flicking thing.

Yep. The big guys here too. I caught mine with some 2' tall weeds with clumps of dirt on their backs the other day from the flicking. Cracks me up.

Like others. I will either snap some photos after a good "rain storm" (misting system) or after a soak. Sometimes they get so caked with dirt dust or mud you forget how cool some of them look.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
my leopard hatchling is almost never dirty, and he poops in his soak :) sometimes though I do admit he gets a green stain around his mouth from his greens :D im lucky.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
humph getting ready for his digging.jpeg

Yeah.....the men here are pretty much like this 99.8% of their life---if they get sprinkler time then they are really flashy for like 30 seconds....lol:p

Last edited by a moderator:

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Mine currently has food all over her face and coco coir all over her arms. This wouldn't stop me taking a pic though. I think it shows personality :D

PapS

5 Year Member
Syros, Greece
My climate is really dry for most of the year so my tortoise gets dirty right after a bath then soil quickly dries and for most of the time she's covered with a very fine layer of dust. The big mess is right after hibernation, in winter it sometimes rains here so when she wakes up she's covered with large clumps of soil!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Just this morning I had trouble finding my Russian, but then I saw a clump of dirt move toward the food dish. :D I usually take pictures not long after a soak.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Re: RE: How are all your torts so clean?!

Spn785 said:
Just this morning I had trouble finding my Russian, but then I saw a clump of dirt move toward the food dish. :D I usually take pictures not long after a soak.

LOL!

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Eastern USA
You should have seen my tort yesterday after making a huge burrow in the pine needles. She looked like a dirty rock...it was actually hard to see her face :D.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I usually take the pictures here just as they are. I don't do any spit and polishing to make them "prettier". ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.