Question about tongues!

Melissa101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi guys, I noticed today that both George and Harry have red patches on their tongues. Normally they are always a pale pink colour, so this stood out to me.

I haven't got any pics at the moment, they're just reddish/brown patches, they almost look like dirt or staining from food? But I wanted confirmation that this happens, and that it's not an early sign of anything more?

Both torts are eating and behaving as normal (mostly eating grass, dandelion leaves, and other weeds they can find in the garden).

My husband and I are going on holiday on Thursday, and our usual reptile vet is away, so I want to make sure the torts will be ok while we're gone!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi guys, I noticed today that both George and Harry have red patches on their tongues. Normally they are always a pale pink colour, so this stood out to me.

I haven't got any pics at the moment, they're just reddish/brown patches, they almost look like dirt or staining from food? But I wanted confirmation that this happens, and that it's not an early sign of anything more?

Both torts are eating and behaving as normal (mostly eating grass, dandelion leaves, and other weeds they can find in the garden).

My husband and I are going on holiday on Thursday, and our usual reptile vet is away, so I want to make sure the torts will be ok while we're gone!

Likely just coloration from food...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
oh yeah threads about tongues always peak my interest. the tongue. can be an indication of poor health but in this case I imagine that it is just discoloration

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Dandelions, in particular seem to sometimes cause tongue discolouration and as this is a part of the diet you mention , I would say this is the most likely cause.