Housing turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paradise
I have three EBT's a year old or so and I'm getting a baby three toed boxie very soon. My other three won't cause any harm to the hatchling right? Also, is there any difference between the two species that I should be aware of?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They might. I'd set him up separately. Box turtles are cannibalistic.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Ok, thank you. I will set the little one up in a separate tank until it gets big enough. Ah, the thought of that makes me cringe. :(:(

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
The size difference is something to consider, but it's also personalities. I'll simply state my set-up for an example since it's so similar.

I have 3 yearlings, my 3- toe being only 3 months older than my 2 Easterns. She's twice their size. (The breeder could've been wrong about their hatch date but that's a whole 'nother conversation ;-)
I jokingly nicknamed her "lazy bum", because she still spends all of her time burrowed, I dig her up for soaks and meals. The Easterns? Since day1, they're up every morning and truck around the enclosure all day. They go to the food dish on their own. So basically, the fact that they're different sizes doesn't really matter. Even when all 3 eat at once, the worst that happens is they all grab a bite of the same worm then Crystal tries to run away with it, dragging V-Max and Gixxer behind her! It's really, really funny. This is to show the sizes:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1380489543.487139.jpg

And, hopefully it works, this is a video I took of the worm tug o war, shortly after I adopted the Easterns. Note what happens at 58 sec. It could be bullying, or aggression, but under close supervision, that behaviour did not last.
http://youtu.be/eNmoXO_mtPM

Now I often find them in the same burrow, stacked 3 deep :-D So cute.

Last edited by a moderator:

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
diaboliqueturtle said:
The size difference is something to consider, but it's also personalities. I'll simply state my set-up for an example since it's so similar.

I have 3 yearlings, my 3- toe being only 3 months older than my 2 Easterns. She's twice their size. (The breeder could've been wrong about their hatch date but that's a whole 'nother conversation ;-)
I jokingly nicknamed her "lazy bum", because she still spends all of her time burrowed, I dig her up for soaks and meals. The Easterns? Since day1, they're up every morning and truck around the enclosure all day. They go to the food dish on their own. So basically, the fact that they're different sizes doesn't really matter. Even when all 3 eat at once, the worst that happens is they all grab a bite of the same worm then Crystal tries to run away with it, dragging V-Max and Gixxer behind her! It's really, really funny. This is to show the sizes:

And, hopefully it works, this is a video I took of the worm tug o war, shortly after I adopted the Easterns. Note what happens at 58 sec. It could be bullying, or aggression, but under close supervision, that behaviour did not last.
http://youtu.be/eNmoXO_mtPM

Now I often find them in the same burrow, stacked 3 deep :-D So cute.

Wow!! Now that's so cool to see the size difference. My three will all shack up two at a time. This will be under a log with sight of the food dish.. I can't wait to see the size difference from my three now and the new hatchling. My three can be aggressive when they eat. (Biting one another and stealing each other's food) I would rather be safe than sorry and put the baby in a separate enclosure and expose him/her gradually to my trio.

Status
Not open for further replies.