Identify this box turtle please

MyKeyTee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North East USA
I acquired this box turtle today - "free to good home" and was told it's a three toed box turtle purchased at a local pet store and it hasn't eaten in over a month. I'm unfamiliar with three-toed box turtles, but his shell looks really "off" to me.
Not sure if the scutes have peeled off, worn off or worn down. Also not sure if I'm looking at shell rot or other previous damage. There aren't any "growth rings" and t1.jpg1.jpg3.jpghere doesn't seem to be any soft spots.
He did not eat for me yet but immediately got frisky with the ladies when I put him in the pen with some EBT's.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 10

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I'm glad you rescued this one. I'm a little skittish about the newcomer going straight in with any existing collection of box turtles without at least a few months of quarantine first. There are some nasty diseases that box turtles are susceptible to, and some of them are capable of decimating a collection of box turtles, if introduced. (Ranavirus comes to mind, but not the only one.)

Personally, I would feel better if you could isolate the newcomer for a while and get any health issues or concerns addressed first. Besides, you're going to want to make sure he's eating, drinking, pooping and all okay first. :) Pay attention for any lesions or respiratory issues.

As far as the carapace is concerned, I am interested to hear what @Yvonne G says. I am wondering if it's something like fire damage from a long time ago.

MyKeyTee

5 Year Member
North East USA
This morning, I also noticed a red "wound" on his front leg/shoulder.
I'm thinking basic/mild disinfectant on the leg, anti-fungal on the shell and into the "hospital" ward for a while. To see if he starts to heal.
He's still not eating and I'm beginning wonder about his eyesight. Gonna try some "stinky" foods today to see if he notices

5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it's a very old three toe. He may have gone through shell trauma in the past, but it may just be worn from age.

Clean the raw tissue and apply Neosporin. Inspect frequently to be sure it's free of fly eggs.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Have you tried giving him a soak? Aim for around 90F water temperature (85-95F range), refresh with warmer water if it drops below 85F or so. Sometimes they're more willing to eat in water, and the movement of the water sometimes makes food more interesting. You may be able to gauge whether the turtle is at least visually tracking the motion of the food on or in the water.

MyKeyTee

5 Year Member
North East USA
ok - thanks Yvonne.
Do you think there are signs of shell rot? Scroll up to see more pics.

Relic

Here
Shell looks just fine. Old battle scars, fully healed. Skin wound needs care as mentioned above. What types of food have you offered? Fruits, veggies, bugs, etc. He didn't get that big and old by not eating...

MyKeyTee

5 Year Member
North East USA
You're right about the shell. Upon further inspection and clean up today, I do see a few signs of very worn growth ridges and all else is either smooth or pitted with some worn rough areas.
I'm working on treating the wound. It's worse than I thought - it's actually worse than this pic, as it extends the full shoulder and there is what appears to be some rotted flesh. I'm being careful not to open any wounds as I clean him up and apply neosporin.
Still not eating. I've tried melon, strawberry, worms (red wigglers and night crawlers). No interest in food during a long warm soak today either, but he did manage to poop a bit, so I hasn't been too long since he's eaten.

8.jpg

MyKeyTee

5 Year Member
North East USA
better shot of his leg wound.
I'm afraid to clean it too much as it seems some of the flesh is coming off and opening it up.
I'm applying neosporin, but should I keep him completely dry for a few weeks as I try to heal it? Quarantined? Bin with a towel/newspaper? or moist eco-earth?

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 24

Relic

Here
It does seem curious that the shell injury is located so close to the leg injury, seeming to imply a common injury event - like something that penetrated the carapace straight into the leg. But the shell is so fully healed it looks ancient, and yet the leg wound seems recent - perhaps only months old. I wonder if this has been a long-term festering wound? I'm not big on vets with reptiles - they usually have scant experience but no reluctance to proceed anyway, but a prescription strength antibiotic and perhaps even a prescription wound cleanser might warrant a vet visit? Tough call...

MyKeyTee

5 Year Member
North East USA
It does seem curious that the shell injury is located so close to the leg injury, seeming to imply a common injury event - like something that penetrated the carapace straight into the leg. But the shell is so fully healed it looks ancient, and yet the leg wound seems recent - perhaps only months old. I wonder if this has been a long-term festering wound? I'm not big on vets with reptiles - they usually have scant experience but no reluctance to proceed anyway, but a prescription strength antibiotic and perhaps even a prescription wound cleanser might warrant a vet visit? Tough call...
I have never used a reptile vet, but there is a good one nearby. Any idea what kind of costs are involved?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I have never used a reptile vet, but there is a good one nearby. Any idea what kind of costs are involved?
Search using the Find A Vet feature (green button at the top) on the Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians (ARAV) website at https://arav.org .

Costs vary by procedure and individual veterinary clinic. If you are willing to share a more specific location (city or part of a state), we may have forum members near you who can recommend a veterinarian.

The articles at http://www.anapsid.org/vets/ may provide some perspective and what to consider in choosing a reptile vet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The important thing is to keep the wound covered with Neosporin or Vaseline so it doesn't form a scab. A scab would break open when he moves his leg, causing re-injury.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Who is the reptile vet that is near you? Perhaps I can give him/her a vote of confidence to make you feel better about taking the turtle to a visit.

If you are anywhere near Philadelphia, the Univ. of PA has a very good vet school and they have an excellent exotics department. Friends of mine have taken tortoises there and been very pleased with the results.

Laetoli

Anaheim
He's such a character! Try bananas I've never had a boxie turn their nose up at those.

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Where are you located specifically?--you indicate the Northeast. Tufts Veterinary School has an excellent exotics service. If you give me a location I can potentially assist you with other options.